Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A brilliant test and display pilot, writer, and gentleman. I owe him a debt of gratitude on several points, as do hundreds - probably thousands - of others. He was a pleasure and honour to know, and will be sorely missed.

That said, I know he'd been unwell for some time, and given that, and his long and well lived life, I'm very glad that when he left us, he was able to do so peacefully and having achieved (indeed, exceeded) so much of what he set out to do.

G
Dave W, TopCat, Maxthelion liked this
By 10W
Very sad to hear the news. John was one of my aeronautical heroes and it was an honour and privilege to meet him many times in the last 15 years. He had many interesting tales of his test flying experiences, as well as knowing several excellent eateries in West Sussex where we could go for lunch after looking around the Museum at Tangmere, which we did regularly. A fine man who will be sadly missed.
By chevvron
G-BLEW wrote:Display flying in Switzerland

RIP

Acksherley it was a sales demo, trying to sell the Harrier to the Swiss AF after years of Venoms and Hunters.
I think they bought F16s for some reason.
By Genghis the Engineer
F-5E and F models I think, then later F/A-18Cs and Ds.

John was however party to selling Switzerland Hawks however, IIRC.

G
By chevvron
Genghis the Engineer wrote:F-5E and F models I think, then later F/A-18Cs and Ds.

John was however party to selling Switzerland Hawks however, IIRC.

G

I wasn't too sure when I typed that; I F16s were a bit too modern!
Wasn't that Andy Jones with the Hawk though?
(Got himself banned from doing displays at Farnborough; got a 'bit low' in the Hawk one year and went between the PAR and the trees at the bottom of a loop! I was paying a rare visit to the spectator area at the time and recollect he went behind the PAR from where I was standing)
By Chris Royle
I am posting this from Sheila, John's daughter;
In the name of the family, I would like to express our gratitude for the posts, the shared memories, the photos.
My father touched so many peoples’ lives in so many ways.
His life and his life’s work are being celebrated and we would like everyone to know what a consolation this is for us.
Our heartfelt thanks,
Sheila Farley
TopCat, Dave W, mmcp42 and 4 others liked this
By chevvron
Chris Royle wrote:I am posting this from Sheila, John's daughter;
In the name of the family, I would like to express our gratitude for the posts, the shared memories, the photos.
My father touched so many peoples’ lives in so many ways.
His life and his life’s work are being celebrated and we would like everyone to know what a consolation this is for us.
Our heartfelt thanks,
Sheila Farley

Pity nobody thought to prepare a TV tribute to him like the one they did about Barnes Wallis.
Two tribute threads running on Pprune.
By rats404
A hero of mine. I had the honour to meet him at Old Warden a few years ago, and he was so self-effacing. A great aviator.