Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By george7378
Hi everyone,

Aside from obvious considerations of airspace (Class C above FL195), oxygen and aircraft performance, is there a hard altitude limit placed on VFR flying, or attached to certain licences? Can't find anything in my books and never asked my instructor as it didn't come to mind.

If we don't have it here, does it exist in other countries? Just curious as I haven't needed to fly above ~4000ft yet, but it might be nice one day to appreciate the view from higher up!

Thanks!
Last edited by george7378 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lockhaven
Well if you can find a way to get up there UK controlled airspace stops at FL600, 60000ft, many countries are lower, above that you are outside controlled airspace so you can happily continue VFR :)

I do remember checking in with ATC somewhere over the Nordic countries at FL510 and being asked what type of service do I want as you are outside controlled airspace :D
george7378 liked this
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
VFR is allowed in any airspace except Class A so there's not really a limit that I know about.

Contiguous US airspace has its Class A starting at 18,000 MSL across the entire country, therefore VFR is limited to below 18,000 in the US.

Not really sure about other countries.
george7378 liked this
By george7378
Lockhaven wrote:Well if you can find a way to get up there UK controlled airspace stops at FL600, 60000ft, many countries are lower, above that you are outside controlled airspace so you can happily continue VFR :)

I do remember checking in with ATC somewhere over the Nordic countries at FL510 and being asked what type of service do I want as you are outside controlled airspace :D

Cool - so I could get permission to go up through the class C, then get above FL600 and wave goodbye to the controller! Hold my beer... :lol:

WelshRichy wrote:VFR is allowed in any airspace except Class A so there's not really a limit that I know about.

Contiguous US airspace has its Class A starting at 18,000 MSL across the entire country, therefore VFR is limited to below 18,000 in the US.

Yes, heard about the US limit of 18,000. So we're actually quite liberal over here in that sense!
By mmcp42
you (and your engine) may find breathing up there a tad difficult!
By TopCat
Lockhaven wrote:I do remember checking in with ATC somewhere over the Nordic countries at FL510

Zoikes, flying what?? :shock:
By chevvron
george7378 wrote:
WelshRichy wrote:VFR is allowed in any airspace except Class A so there's not really a limit that I know about.

Yes, heard about the US limit of 18,000. So we're actually quite liberal over here in that sense!

Below 18,000 it can be anything from Class B down to Class G (usually below 1,200ft or 800ft); much of it is Class E so no VFR clearance required but Class B and C require a VFR clerarance.
By flybymike
Think you might have difficulty getting a VFRclearance above FL195.

VFR Flight in Class C Airspace Above FL 195
VFR flight by civil aircraft above FL 195 shall not be permitted unless it has been accorded specific arrangements by the appropriate ATS authority. VFR flight shall only be authorised:
in reserved airspace;
outside reserved airspace up to FL 285, and then only when authorised in accordance with the procedures detailed for Non-Standard Flights in Controlled Airspace.
If utilising permanently established reserved airspace, the established booking procedures for that airspace should be followed. If there is a need for the establishment of temporary reserved areas then procedures for conducting Unusual Aerial Activities in Controlled Airspace shall be followed. Standing arrangements for temporary reserved areas for gliding in Class C airspace are shown at ENR 1.1.1.
It is anticipated the demand for VFR access outside of an airspace reservation will be minimal. Such access will be accommodated within the context of safety, capacity and effect on the ATS network as a whole; consequently VFR access to the ATS route structure is only likely to be permitted in exceptional circumstances. In this case the appropriate civil ATC Unit will co-ordinate provision of ATS. Operators seeking to operate in such areas should contact the appropriate ACC Operations Department. Applications for VFR flight to avoid IFR ATS route flow restrictions will not be granted.
Operators seeking localised VFR flight above FL 195 not requiring reserved airspace and clear of the ATS route structure should contact the Military Airspace Manager (MAM) in the Airspace Management Cell located at LACC,

https://www.bfgc.co.uk/VFR_Guide.pdf
By nallen
mmcp42 wrote:you (and your engine) may find breathing up there a tad difficult!

Engine?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36246481

http://www.blackmountainsgliding.co.uk/flywave.php
Dusty_B liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Only tried it to in excess of FL300+ VFR twice - once in Yorkshire and again to FL320 in Nevada ( still climbing but up against upper level clearance) and found the lack of engine power to be no problem at all....It was pretty cool though at minus 45c OAT over Ripon, in August... :wink:
mick w liked this
By akg1486
What flight rules did the space shuttle follow? They might have had to descend through clouds, but their ability to follow any ATC instructions were severely limited. No full procedures, no missed approach, etc.

(I saw an interview with a former test pilot once, including a list of aircraft he had flown. He categorized the space shuttle as a glider.)
FleaFlyFloFum liked this
By skydriller
akg1486 wrote:(I saw an interview with a former test pilot once, including a list of aircraft he had flown. He categorized the space shuttle as a glider.)

That was more of a brick, wasnt it?
By foxmoth
I would say that is stretching the definition of SELF launching !