Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
By ozplane
#1736993
Just out of interest, was there ever a time when Lycomings and Continentals went "walkabout"? I suppose they may be too heavy or not so attractive as a target.
User avatar
By flyingeeza
#1737025
ozplane wrote:Just out of interest, was there ever a time when Lycomings and Continentals went "walkabout"? I suppose they may be too heavy or not so attractive as a target.

Nope, no market for them...they cost way too much to maintain than to buy outright! :D
Don't ask... :D
By riverrock
#1737114
You don't want a Lycosaurus in anything but an aircraft, and engineers tend to check provinance, while you can use a rotax in various other machines.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1737116
riverrock wrote:......while you can use a rotax in various other machines.


What sort of things..... I'm guessing that they're sold on eBay (or similar)
User avatar
By Sooty25
#1737171
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
riverrock wrote:You don't want a Lycosaurus in anything but an aircraft


This sort of thing uses them as well. Admittedly not much demand in Europe...

Image


Dunno, state of our strip at the moment that might come in handy.
seanxair, Nick, Charles Hunt liked this
By Chris Martyr
#1737228
Make no mistake . The reason why 9-series Rotax's are so nickable , is due to the fact that Rotax won't sell you any spares that require 'invasive maintenance' . [i.e. splitting the crankcase]

You can order your 9-series Rotax spares from the Rotax agent . But if it is anything other than an 'external bolt-on' , they will ask which approved Rotax agent you want your spares sent to . They don't want you fitting them yourself .

This is what makes serviceable , 'second-hand' Rotax spares so attractive .

If they removed their monopoly , then the crazy price of second-hand Rotax 912 spares would level off and become normal .

The reason why 9-series Rotax spares are such a covetted commodity , is due to Rotax themselves .

Customer commitment ......but not as we know it .
User avatar
By tomshep
#1737235
Quite right and almost certainly an unlawful practice. I have rebuilt MUCH better engines than a 912 and there is absolutely nothing special about the Rotax. Hondas are much more finicky.
By johnm
#1737255
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
riverrock wrote:You don't want a Lycosaurus in anything but an aircraft


This sort of thing uses them as well. Admittedly not much demand in Europe...

Image


Hmmm the one I had a ride on in Florida had two 7 litre Chevvy V8s :shock:
By Ibra
#1737297
johnm wrote:Hmmm the one I had a ride on in Florida had two 7 litre Chevvy V8s :shock:


Did you logged any PIC hours with that?

Now I get it when people claim they got a cheap hour building flying in everglades park :lol:
johnm liked this
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9