Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jodelman
Sooty25 wrote:I'd have thought that Clench Common would have CCTV

Sorry but CCTV only gives you pretty pictures of people in balaclavas and hoodies.
I'd block the access road.

What makes you think they use the access road? More likely to use their 4x4s to go across multiple fields and through hedges to a road you wouldn't expect.
Then I'd phone the Police informing them that you think you spotted guns so you are gonna start picking them off at distance with a 'scoped rifle just in case, please bring an ambulance.

Mmm...... that would put YOU in jail but anyway most strips are isolated and it takes the police at least 20 minutes to arrive by which time the scrotes have long gone.
Thankfully, we don't have any 912s at our strip.

You don't need 912s to have visits from people like this
By skydriller
Jodelman wrote:
Then I'd phone the Police informing them that you think you spotted guns so you are gonna start picking them off at distance with a 'scoped rifle just in case, please bring an ambulance.

Mmm...... that would put YOU in jail but anyway most strips are isolated and it takes the police at least 20 minutes to arrive by which time the scrotes have long gone.

I would suggest you dont actually have to do what you tell them on the phone, but mention firearms and they will turn up ASAP... tell them you think you are being robbed and they might come the next day...if you are lucky.

(If reports form various people on here are to be believed, I personally havent lived in the UK for some time.)
By Sooty25
Blimey, a few defeatists here!

a common function of cctv systems these days is motion sensing, when someone walks across the screen, it alarms and can send an email to "the duty phone holder". Then you login and see what is going on real time. That gives you a window of time to do something. At the moment it seems like 912s are being picked off like lame ducks, no attempt to protect.

Remote 3/4G coverage is possible with high gain antennas, I've built a system that works 15 miles offshore were no coverage is shown, its not just about whether an iphone works.

Wrongly reporting firearms? If plod has just nabbed a bunch of engine thieves red handed, they won't worry about you reporting invisible guns or claiming you've got one. No judge would convict you even if they did try to pursue it, if you then show a hangar full of trashed aircraft in your defence.

Blocking roads, well, you've got to try something.

As for feeling less at risk just because due to the lack of 912 on site, I think that is a reasonable comment based on what is being pinched. Even the D-motor that got pinched last year went amongst 912s. We've also got no significant avionics on site, so until they start targeting 2 strokes, a65s and handhelds, we are safe.

Is Eastern europe the destination? I think African states may also feature.
By Charliesixtysix
When your cctv alert goes off at 2am you will be most likely fast asleep and have to make an instantaneous decision to go and protect property (almost certainly alone) and will come up against several people of ill-intent who have planned their 'job' and contingencies beforehand - they are already operating outside the law and will very probably not be averse to using violence to make good their escape.

Most farm robberies around here seem to involve using a couple of previously stolen vehicles - one of which is used in a sacrificial role to ram away any obstructions such as gates or doors if required - the other vehicle takes the stolen items to a pre-arranged isolated location for transfer to yet another vehicle which itself might be legit, taxed and insured and as such unnoticeable on highways ANPR network

CCTV has the stolen vehicles and men in hoodies perfectly filmed but no trace of departed goods seems to be found.

I don't fancy my chances alone and half asleep against that level of crime.

The best hope is effective active deterrent alarms and, long term, that the thieves operate to same pattern each time and one day somebody might just spot the common denominator (same 'legit' vehicle on ANPR perhaps?) and tie the events together.
By Paul_Sengupta
Sooty25 wrote:Is Eastern europe the destination? I think African states may also feature.

Well, the previous lot caught were in Italy...

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1484865#p1484865

Carabinieri have arrested a 39 year old Ukranian mason [sic] and a Romanian worker aged 32. They were arrested at Leini on board a Mercedes lorry with a Polish registration.

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1477485#p1477485
By Jodelman
Sooty25 wrote:Blimey, a few defeatists here!

Not defeatist but realistic.
Perhaps when you have had to deal personally with the results of repeated visits from these scrotes you will feel the same way.
By patowalker
Dave W wrote:I suspect it is likely that those individuals weren't the UK perps, but were handlers of the stolen goods.

the Carabinieri also found six aircraft engines and propellers, stolen on 7 September from the Prealpi Musine airfield at Pianezze.

Italian pilots have suggested the engines were on the way to Romania.

"The thieves had chained the gate to the airfield to make access difficult in case they were discovered, ..."
By Flintstone
Sooty25 wrote:Wrongly reporting firearms? If plod has just nabbed a bunch of engine thieves red handed, they won't worry about you reporting invisible guns or claiming you've got one.

Have you ever had dealings with the police or other authorities on matters involving firearms? I think you'd be in for a shock.
Charliesixtysix liked this
By FlarePath
Yep, see what difference in sentencing you would get holding up a security van with a wooden gun painted black and threatening to shoot or else, compared to the real thing :roll:
By Sooty25
I do recall a few hoops when I applied for and FAC! Would I snipe at someone in the process of removing the engine from my plane? Hmmm...

If my strip was a potential target, I'd certainly be putting some line of detection and defense in place. I just couldn't sit back and hope I didn't get the call, followed by handing over pointless, grainy CCTV recordings to a police force that hasn't got the resources to follow it up. If you are not going to catch them, you have to deter them.

Maybe some of the resident Raspberry Pi geeks could use one to create a hangar monitor controlled via an app. Feeds video to your phone when triggered, but with app controlled switch outputs for strobes, sirens and smoke. Accept the fact they may get in, but make it impossible to work in there. Accept the fact money may need to be spent defending your assets.
By Charliesixtysix
I think you’ll find lots of farms (and strips?) already have systems installed that do all the above active dterrent stuff without the need for clever IT equipment. :thumright: