Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
Just seen this on Facebook, I'm sure they won't mind the cut and paste if it helps spread the work.

The BMAA is sad to report that another incident involving the theft of Rotax 912 engines has occurred.

It happened on the night of the 7th or early hours of the 8th of June, the location was a private airfield in Wiltshire.
A total of six engines and propellers were stolen from three C42’s and three EuroFox’s. With regards to the engines there were four 912UL’s and two 912ULS’s.
Additionally a large amount of tools some of which were for carpentry were also stolen.

We are awaiting a crime reference number and also serial numbers for the engines and propellers.

Please assist with the promulgation of this information and be vigilant to any suspicious activity.

Many Thanks
The BMAA Team
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cut off the aircraft, I hear. :evil:

I hope the different Constabularies are sharing information - this has been going on for ages, and I guess it's quite likely to be the same scrotes each time.
tomshep liked this
By Highland Park
TheFarmer wrote:A crisp £50 note bets they had some plane spotters round recently....

The airfield management at Old Buck have now banned any guided hangar tours for spotters etc as although the few have spoiled it for the many, it’s impossible to know exactly who is being shown around....
Bobcro liked this
By JonBoy
TheFarmer wrote:A crisp £50 note bets they had some plane spotters round recently....

Indeed Mr Farmer, ISTR that on here just a few weeks ago someone posted that they had witnessed a group of people acting in an unusual manner at their strip. The OP was somewhat pilloried by others here and you were one of the very few in support of him. I would not hesitate to approach people at my club regardless of whether they happened to be white, black, green, yellow or pink etc, or driving a black BMW. (That stuff makes no difference to me). The chances are they will be genuine and glad to have a chat. The real skill is for us; how we approach the people and sadly nowadays, our ability to make an “assessment” of their intentions, good or otherwise.
mick w, TheFarmer, Rob P and 2 others liked this
By Cessna57
I genuinely can’t believe people aren’t taking these thefts seriously.

If I had an aircraft with a Rotax, there would be lots of security measures around it/on it by now, and half of those would be well publicised. Is it because they are insured anyway?

I have an old car, if there were targeted attacks against that sort of car, there’d be ways and means all over it and near it, to catch the scum.

The people stealing these read these forums. I’m not posting ideas here.
By Rob P
Highland Park wrote:The airfield management at Old Buck have now banned any guided hangar tours for spotters etc

I have some doubts about the wisdom of this as, since there are no Rotax-engined aircraft in the hangars (that I am aware of), a reconnaissance by the scrotes would prove to them that it's not worth bothering with Old Buck.

But what do I know?

Rob P
By Waveflyer
Rob P wrote:But what do I know?

Rob P

Wait until they target the aircraft fitted with tens of thousands of pounds worth of avionics equipment!
Nick liked this
By TheFarmer
Cessna57 wrote:I genuinely can’t believe people aren’t taking these thefts seriously.

If I had an aircraft with a Rotax, there would be lots of security measures around it/on it by now, and half of those would be well publicised. Is it because they are insured anyway?

I have an old car, if there were targeted attacks against that sort of car, there’d be ways and means all over it and near it, to catch the scum.

The people stealing these read these forums. I’m not posting ideas here.

So, if you’re in the middle of a 350 acre field at the end of a one mile track, with no internet connectivity, and you live seven miles away, what would you suggest?

I think they’re very much taking it seriously. It’s just that there isn’t a way to secure them reliably.