Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1614694
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
TopCat wrote:Can the same biennial revalidate both an EASA and a CAA PPL at the same time?


Why not?


Well it may well be possible, but I'm guessing it isn't automatic.

I've had my EASA licence for a while now, and I had a biennial a year ago to revalidate it. But I naively assumed that as I fly an EASA aircraft, it was a one-way trip, so I didn't also get my CAA licence updated.

It would be very nice to fly on my CAA licence in the UK, and therefore not have to carry my licence and passport with me everywhere (it's my only photo-id), and then fly on my EASA licence if I go to France.

So do I have to revalidate my CAA licence with a flight test, now that its two years have expired, even though I'm only half way through my EASA biennial period?
#1614711
flybymike wrote:
TopCat wrote:Can the same biennial revalidate both an EASA and a CAA PPL at the same time?

Yes, I do it every time.

That's good to know. Presumably you get the same examiner to sign both lines in the reval section?

I wish I'd had that forethought... so does that mean that I have to revalidate my CAA licence with a flight test, now that its two years have expired, even though I'm only half way through my EASA biennial period?

And if so, then to get them back in step, can I get a fresh biennial for both when my next EASA one comes up, even though I'm only a year into the new CAA biennial period?

Am I just the stupidest of all pilots out there, and everyone else knows all this stuff already? If not, how the fark are people expected to know it all?
#1614712
TopCat wrote:Am I just the stupidest of all pilots out there, and everyone else knows all this stuff already?


Everyone who reads the Flyer Forum. I've been mentioning it on here for years!

TopCat wrote:If not, how the fark are people expected to know it all?


By reading the Flyer Forum.

Welcome back by the way! ;-)
#1614714
Yes, same examiner signs both.

I’m guessing that as it has not been written in stone on your CAA licence, then that particular licence is no longer valid (even though you met the requirements for revalidation.)

I’m also guessing you would have to do whatever is necessary for a recently expired CAA PPL, and then use that test date to start the two licences running from the same date.

That’s all just my supposition though.
#1614726
flybymike wrote:I’m also guessing you would have to do whatever is necessary for a recently expired CAA PPL, and then use that test date to start the two licences running from the same date.

If I have to do a test for the CAA one, then so be it.

But I'd much rather then revalidate both licences by experience, because then I can have an instructional hour and actually learn something, which I invariably enjoy immensely.

Sometimes for my PU/T hour I do some IMC work, once I did an hour in a Cub. For my next one I'm thinking I might do some aerobatics, although I expect I'll be sick as it's about 15 years since I went up in the Pitts at White Waltham with Alan Cassidy.

By test, it's a pointless waste of time where all I do is prove that I can do what I already do all the time.
#1615954
I am guessing the answer is that no one knows, but I will ask it anyway, do we know if this is going to be extended beyond 2019? Is this just another small extension to those of us flying on an NPPL, or could it mean I can use the licence long term as I thought I would be able to when I got it in the first place?
#1615970
russ82 wrote:I am guessing the answer is that no one knows, but I will ask it anyway, do we know if this is going to be extended beyond 2019? Is this just another small extension to those of us flying on an NPPL, or could it mean I can use the licence long term as I thought I would be able to when I got it in the first place?


Don't worry, the next change will be announced at least 12 hours before the expiration deadline.

"D'ya feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
#1616022
Max - that doesn't really make any sense - you just revalidate the NPPL SSEA by experience as you will have presumably met the hours and instructor flight for your LAPL anyway. If you mean you want to use the LAPL means of regaining by solo under supervision, then no you couldn't use that to reactivate an SSEA rating on an NPPL.
#1616045
neaton wrote:
russ82 wrote:I am guessing the answer is that no one knows, but I will ask it anyway, do we know if this is going to be extended beyond 2019? Is this just another small extension to those of us flying on an NPPL, or could it mean I can use the licence long term as I thought I would be able to when I got it in the first place?


Don't worry, the next change will be announced at least 12 hours before the expiration deadline.

"D'ya feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"


12 hours before the deadline would be good, this one was a couple of months after the deadline. :D :D