Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob L
Ten years ago this weekend, over 200 aircraft flew in to Tempelhof (Berlin) before it closed permanently. Many aircraft were from the Flyer Forum, we were well represented there, and Keef (bless) was instrumental in planning for the trip.

A Flyer link: Flyer link to collective blog but I fear that a lot of photos got lost over the last ten years, it appears?

Rob

p.s. My Tempelhof trip report still exists.
My flying buddy Martin on that trip has since died, so it's good to remember good times :D
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve still got a stack of photo’s from that most memorable trip.

These range from photos of the airport overhang, all us on the seats on the roof, the explosive marks and graffiti down in the underground bunkers, the dinner in the parliament building - plus riding those stupid 8 person bikes around the Brandenburg Gate. A truly unforgettable trip.
By Tony Y.
It was, (& still is) my longest trip. It was particularly special for me as I worked at Tempelhof
as a BEA apprentice in the 60's, just after the wall was built. Saw the office I worked in, under that
huge concrete canopy & the digs I stayed in. I could never have imagined that one day, decades later I would fly there as P1.
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W liked this
By Iceman
Wow, was that trip really ten years ago ? Myself and Merlin83b arrived from Monaco but not until the Monday, by which time most people had departed. We then bumped in to Foie Gras and Siubhan on the Tuesday at Checkpoint Charlie, dining with them that evening. Back via Bonn Hangelar, attacking the Möhne dam en route :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
By XX
I didn't make that Flyer trip, but was determined to get Tempelhof in my log book. I cut it fine. In the end I enlisted the European experience of WKW and we flew in and out in the October, leaving the day before Tempelhof shut forever. I remember the weather being questionable.

I think we have the distinction of TBXX being the last single engine British plane to leave :D .

Very sad to see the state of the place a couple of years ago on a more recent visit to Berlin. But great memories.
Iceman, ChampChump, Rob L and 2 others liked this
By Echobeach
Sadly I have had to hang up my headset as middle age took away my 12 year and nearly 800 hour very amateur hobby.

I still do occasional dual flights, but look at flyer fora every day.

But..
One of my best trips was that fly-in to Tempelhof. I also can’t believe it was 10 years ago.

It was extraordinary weather all the way in an out. A friend and I split the flying out on Saturday and back on Sunday.

It was a reminder of how extraordinarily easy flying outside of the Uk was and is. And how incredibly helpful ATC in France, Holland (Dutch mill) and the German radar services, were.

My flying buddy was asked, as he speared inadvertently towards Munster controlled airspace, if he wanted a clearance and transit or perhaps a vector around. After a most polite Moin( good morning)

Nothing quite like crossing the old DDR at low level and tracking in across Berlin, up the canal after Potsdam, single engine.

On arrival we picked up a follow me car and got premium parking.

We flew out in a bit of a wreck of an old arrow. But I will remember this for the rest of my days. And when I sit in the rocking chair on the Terrace, with a blanket over the knees looking out over the alps - this will be one of my greatest memories. And I have a Tempelhof stamp in that paper log book !

As a child of the Cold War era this was quite an experience of modern life.

Quite a good evening party on the airfield soaking up the history.

For all those currently writing and enquiring in threads, looking at crossing the channel and feeling this could be as difficult as Everest (or a transatlantic crossing). Take heart. It’s easier over there. Much.
Flyin'Dutch', Maxthelion, G-BLEW and 1 others liked this
By Pete L
I missed two opportunities for Tempelhof . But my phone has just reminded me of the following year in Salzburg, probably the highlight of touring for me to date. Keef still looked very young in those photos. I think I recall Tony Y from that trip as well.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
I also missed the Forum trip but followed in their wake in September. Templehof was deserted (except for the chap collecting landing fees) and quite eerie.

I was reminded of the trip last weekend as a friend was at the German Formula E race which was held at Templehof. The terminal was used for autograph signing with each check-in desk allocated to a driver. It looks like the passenger terminal has been preserved.

Pete L liked this