Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Helicopters usually have narrow track gear on which to mount floats, and a high vertical centre of gravity.

They will often invert after ditching, particularly if there's any significant sea state.
Dave W wrote:They will often invert after ditching

They quite often work well and save everyone on board. Often times the pax don't even get their feet wet.

Honestly, If you were given the choice between between ditching a PA28/C206 or R44 Clipper II (has pop-out floats) in the Solent or mid-Channel - which would you choose?

Addtionally, most GA helicopter pilots find themselves in a piston helicopter which actually has a low centre of gravity. We're discussing taking friends/family on GA flights; not taking a Super Puma to a North Sea oil platform in dodgy weather ...which of course wouldn't have the aforementioned 2yr old aboard.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy8Omelv_MI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-rFwJwtiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anQ8cFeFLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_fDM0eUphk
SEP/heli differences aside, the last thing I want in a ditching is to have to get someone out who can't get themselves out.

Flying is far from risk-free and we all have to manage our risk according to what we're comfortable with. I'm fine with SEP over water, providing that:

- we're at a decent altitude so we have time to plan if the engine quits

- we're in contact with an ATSU (and preferably on radar)

- we have life jackets, a raft and a locator beacon

- everyone on board understands the risks, can understand and follow instructions in the event of an emergency, and can rapidly vacate their aircraft under their own steam should it become necessary.
Dave W liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:
Waveflyer wrote:Worth mentioning that any life jacket without a crotch strap is lethal.

Why exactly ? :wink:

I’m not an expert. One of the essential capabilities of a life jacket is that it keeps the head above water. If no crotch strap is worn the bouancy of the jacket will lift it higher on the body even to the extent that it may float higher than the head.
You then become a fish and it makes it more difficult for your rescuers to find you :D
morticiaskeeper wrote:
Waveflyer wrote:Worth mentioning that any life jacket without a crotch strap is lethal.

Agreed. I've recently had to borrow buoyancy aids at a kayaking event because they wouldn't let us use our own! Being able to remove it over my not inconsiderable body and pull it over my head was very disconcerting.

No closed loops (on lifevests or safetly lines) should ever be used in whitewater; that is distinctly dangerous.
RisePilot wrote:
morticiaskeeper wrote:

Agreed. I've recently had to borrow buoyancy aids at a kayaking event because they wouldn't let us use our own! Being able to remove it over my not inconsiderable body and pull it over my head was very disconcerting.

No closed loops (on lifevests or safetly lines) should ever be used in whitewater; that is distinctly dangerous.

I don't do white water, except a little surfing, when all loops are removed.
defcribed wrote:I think I'd be thinking about whether I really wanted to do this.
Once you've executed a successful ditching:
- exiting the aircraft yourself is likely to be difficult
- getting out and getting the liferaft out is likely to be very difficult
- getting out and getting the liferaft out and then getting another person out who cannot help themselves, and who may actively hinder you, is likely to be very, very difficult to the point where you're more likely to fail than succeed.
Sorry to be so down on it all, but you've got to imagine how this will pan out in a real situation. Do you want to be leaning into the back seats in a sinking aircraft trying to extract a toddler who is tangled in the seatbelts and thrashing around, eventually having to make a decision about whether to leave your child and save your own life or go down with them?
My own over-water rule in an SEP is no passengers who cannot exit the aircraft quickly and unassisted.

Big Dex liked this
Javed Rahman wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. Very interesting to see the different points of view.
I have finally decided to go for this life jacket.

That's the same one I bought for my 7 y.o. granddaughter except hers is pink with flowers on it.

That's a great company with excellent service: They modified the lifejacket to remove the auto/water inflate mechanism without a peep.

Peter