Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I used to fly from there, there used to be a casing of a WWII bomb mounted in the lobby with a plaque which stated it was found during the clearing of the airfield of WWII bombs in something like 1986.
By Dodo
I seem to remember they found a small bomb buried at Shoreham some time around 2000, and closed the airport for a couple of hours.
By Paul_Sengupta
I have a vague recollection that the 2000 clearance was for the pipe bomb things laid for airfield denial in case of occupation? Or am I thinking of something else?

Anyway...

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/news/update-wartime-device-near-shoreham-airport-found-to-be-dummy-round-1-8508382

A bomb disposal team have confirmed a device found near Shoreham Airport, initially believed to be an unexploded wartime bomb, was in fact a non-explosive dummy round. Contractors working on the Environment Agency's flood defence scheme near the airport dug up the device at around 9am this morning during the excavation of a World War Two hut base.
By Iceman
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I have a vague recollection that the 2000 clearance was for the pipe bomb things laid for airfield denial in case of occupation? Or am I thinking of something else?

Wasn't that Lee on Solent ?

Iceman 8)
By JonEBgood
Lee-on-Solent has been swept for UXB's several times since WW2. According to official records more than 250 sections of pipe bomb – each about 60 feet long and containing 120 pounds of explosives – were laid around the then RNAS Lee-on-Solent.

The mines should have been removed at the end of World War II, but many at the base were not.

The most recent big sweep in 2006 (ahead of transfer of land ownership to the Maritime Coastguard Agency) led to "Mass Evacuations" after 20 were found. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 378586.stm

Even then not all UXB were found.

A small UXB was found a few years ago behind the hangar that AeroTech Solent lease.

In November last year a 6m pipe bomb was found parallel to the western taxiway. Pictures show it being unearthed around 1ft under the surface. https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... -1-8239346

However don't let any of this put you off visiting the Solent's General Aviation Airport! :-)
By Ridders
Iceman wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I have a vague recollection that the 2000 clearance was for the pipe bomb things laid for airfield denial in case of occupation? Or am I thinking of something else?

Wasn't that Lee on Solent ?

Iceman 8)
when I was flying from shoreham they extended the concrete towards the eastern end of the airfield, where ‘Terminal 2’ used to be, the grass area in front of there. Pipe bombs were discovered during that construction.