Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The question is in the title. Do we know when slot booking will open? The LAA site points to the Sywell website, which in turn says that there are no bookable events yet.

Anybody with insider knowledge?
By 2Donkeys
Well now @Ian Melville and @PaulSS you've busted me! I went along last year in my entirely 'certified' Lance, largely because the younger members of my tribe loved the idea of camping next to the aircraft. We pitched a big tent, Mrs 2D set up tables and chairs, cracked open the champagne, and various other forumites joined us for food and drink at various times over the couple of days we were there. It was fantastic. I didn't set foot in the actual exhibition space, but I did walk to the loos past some very fine looking homebuilts.

The whole thing was such a hit that everybody now wants to go and do it again this year.

nallen, PaulSS, Ian Melville and 1 others liked this
By CloudHound
I've arrived off slot for the last two Rallys. Not deliberately, just ran late. On both occasions there was little or no traffic as I joined the hold and looking at the arrivals plenty of gaps around my booked times.

Having flown into many LAA Rallys at the likes of Cranfield, Leicester, Wroughton and Sywell the regulatory need for a slot system is just that; the Regulator imposing it.

I'll book in again this year but maybe for the Saturday as opposed to my traditional Friday.
By CloudHound
For me, the attraction is to meet up with old friends and to tell people who are interested, about the Stinson.

Some of the exhibits are worth a bit of time around and I generally find something to buy. It's now more like a gentle garden party than the full on drink and sex orgy of years ago.
Ian Melville, 2Donkeys liked this
CloudHound wrote:I'll give you a clue - Cranfield Institute of Technology Study Centre :wink:

I know from the Cranfield rallies that I have attended that it's been possible to rent dorms from the university.
I take it that some of the students were still in residence then . Given the age of the average LAA'er , it's hardly likely that mass orgies of geriatric nookey were taking place ..... :D

What could you hear CH,,,,was it beds creaking or bones creaking..??............. :D
flybymike liked this
By CloudHound
Yes, one could rent a room in the vacated-for-the-summer dorms.

But, on the other side of the spine road, past the Rogers Aviation hangar, was a conference centre. It had rooms with en-suite facilities, its own bar and restaurant and a small swimming pool.

What went on there was quite frankly amazing. I can't pass by these days without a wry smile.

Anyway, about the Aviator Hotel.......... :shock: