Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
All submitted via the online application form a month ago today. Heard nothing. Rang the CAA to be told that the application is due to be looked at on the 10th of June.

I want to hour build towards a CPL and
my local school were happy to sign me off for solo flight but have now hinted that they are no longer allowed to do this.

I feel 6 plus week wait is pretty poor so is it appropriate for me to complain to the CAA?
Last edited by Bathman on Tue May 22, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Remember, the CAA aim to process all applications within 10 working days. It says so on their website.

For the CAA, this is a money generating opportunity so, for some of the services I remember were free, they have introduced fees to expedite the process. What I found this means is that they look at the application sooner but find some excuse to delay the application.

If it is now 14 weeks to get a licence, this is an example of the system getting even worse.
Complain to Grant Shapps and your local MP. This sort of ripoff by a monopoly is totally unacceptable.

If you were paying the equivalent of Nat. min. wage to a school-leaver, for 1 hour's "learning- on -the- job " admin. I could at least have some sympathy, ...but you're paying a substantial sum for a professional administration of a supposedly professional organisation. The hundred-pound ransom to "jump the queue" is pure extortion. It is a shameful, immoral and unethical method of conduct.
RotaryAviator liked this
Complain now. It’s not acceptable to fleece you, bank the money (claiming the interest) and then make you wait as long as you have.

As somebody else has mentioned, the £100/£200 fee for counter service is really just another CAA money generation scheme. It used to be free until they stated that they needed the counter staff to process the backlog of mail applications. This clearly is not the case as the wait is even longer than it used to be.

richard.moriaty@caa.co.uk is the new CEO’s mail address. I’m sure he’d love to help you. Last time I gave Andrew Haines e-mail address to a mate in similar circumstances, he got his licence the next day.
GeorgeJLA liked this
I submitted an application on 3rd April and was told to expect last week of May, first week of June. My licence went through some form of pre-screening (wasn't aware of this) at the end of April and was then told 23 working days from then.

Given up being upset, it's just despair as the CAA lady said "There's nothing we can do, there just isn't the resources", As far as I'm concerned, calling, complaining or doing anything to that effect looks like it'll just make the process even longer, if you haven't waited at least 23 working days, don't even bother calling.

Thankfully unlike many I'm still able to fly, albeit in Gliders under the national rules, but the BGA issued my latest rating to me last week within 3 working days, that's what I call service, and at 2/3rds of the cost of a similar EASA rating. Whatever progress we're told this EASA transition is, it's backwards.
The CAA is shameful and disgraceful in this regard. The only glimmer of efficiency from this organisation is when they take our money.

I recently passed an initial CBIR test, having paid nearly £800 for the privilege. Sent my forms and logbooks off the next day as I was told that because my logbooks needed assessing, I could not attend in person.

Everytime the CAA had a question or wanted something done just their way, my application went to the back of the queue (they admitted this to me on the phone, even that one of the rejections along the way was for a reason not specified in the guidance). When the license was finally issued, it had an incorrect date. Full amount charged, no exceptions, for a shockingly poor service.

Long list of examples of totally unnecessary bureaucracy that could be seriously streamlined. There is, however, a serious flight safety issue. People finish training, pass tests and meet all the requirements for a new license or rating. They are current and ready to use what they have earned but are then held in CAA limbo. When the CAA finally gets around to issuing the license, often several weeks later, the recipient is then fully entitled (legally) to use the license but could be many weeks out of practice, potentially creating a dangerous situation.

I made this point to the CAA but it fell on deaf ears. I wrote a formal complaint, even asking for a meeting with the head of the CAA and the minister for transport. Nothing. This organisation is not fit for purpose and those in charge of it need to make some drastic changes or make way for people who are capable of doing so.

If others on this thread are making a formal complaint, I would be happy to join.
Katamarino liked this
One of our newly-rated pilots presented himself front and centre at the Belgrano early morning a few weeks ago. He was told there was no more ‘first come, first served’ and he would need an appointment, next available was four weeks away. That was just to present his application.

The CAA said they’d notified all airlines months ago. To parts of the CAA aviation=airlines, there’s nothing else. Never mind that our aircraft might not fly, that over £40,000 was tied up in his training and that he was being paid a salary to sit around. The airlines had been notified and that was it.
It took 11 weeks for my license to arrive (paper application). I considered the £100 counter option however I was advised that they don't issue your license there and then over the counter, it's simply a means of checking that your initial application is in order (and therefore avoiding it being sent back to you for more information requested etc).