Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave Phillips
Call me a heretic, but I don't use a mount. I stuff the iPad Mini down the side like a chart. After all, it's only a clever chart and I don't feel the need to be staring at it as part of my normal outside/inside scan.
Flyin'Dutch', gaznav, Lefty liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave Phillips wrote:Call me a heretic, but I don't use a mount. I stuff the iPad Mini down the side like a chart. After all, it's only a clever chart and I don't feel the need to be staring at it as part of my normal outside/inside scan.

Each to his own:
Stuffing it rather defeats the purpose of a moving map with all the one-finger info that can be gleaned in a flash, including ref to pilot log as progress occurs.

bleedin' :roll: heretic

Peter
By Charliesixtysix
Slight drift:
Is the iPad mini 4 display significantly brighter/better in sunlight than the '2 ?

We can have trouble reading the display in certain sun direction on our '2 and have been told the '4 display is better in direct sunlight - anyone?
By Dave Phillips
Yes, by a significant amount. Gets hot a little more quickly though, hence one of the reasons to shove it down yer pants, as it were. :)
By Flyin'Dutch'
Charliesixtysix wrote:Slight drift:
Is the iPad mini 4 display significantly brighter/better in sunlight than the '2 ?

We can have trouble reading the display in certain sun direction on our '2 and have been told the '4 display is better in direct sunlight - anyone?

From a review page:

Winner: iPad Mini 4 - It may have an identical resolution to the iPad Mini 2, but the iPad Mini 4's fully laminated display really does deliver superior colours and more detail in darker shadow areas. It also captures fewer reflections, making it easier to use in a wider variety of lighting conditions. It's a display that finally brings the Mini on par with Apple's larger iPad Air 2, and it means you no longer have to compromise on image quality just because you want a smaller, more portable tablet.

Find someone who has a Mini iPad 4 and hold it side by side with your Mini iPad 2.
By PeteSpencer
Charliesixtysix wrote:Slight drift:

IMHO the 4 is significantly earier to read in sunlight.

However the ball joint on the Brodit mount allows subtle alterations of angle to minimise sun glare.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Find someone who has a Mini iPad 4 and hold it side by side with your Mini iPad 2.

As it happens I have both Mini 4 and iPad 2 ,have done the comparison, and confirm the iPad mini is easier to read.

In fact as part of my quadruple navigational redundancy I usually have the two on the go together each flight.

Sort of continuous ongoing comparison : iPad either sits on RHS or pax lap.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
PeteSpencer wrote:As it happens I have both Mini 4 and iPad 2 ,have done the comparison, and confirm the iPad mini is easier to read.

Ipads and MiniIpads with the same number do note denote same generation technology.

Ipad 2 is not retina technique but Mini iPad 2 is - and the Mini iPad 4 is another generation further.
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:As it happens I have both Mini 4 and iPad 2 ,have done the comparison, and confirm the iPad mini is easier to read.

Ipads and MiniIpads with the same number do note denote same generation technology.

Ipad 2 is not retina technique but Mini iPad 2 is - and the Mini iPad 4 is another generation further.

:scratch:
Er, which explains why Mini4 is so much better....... :roll:

Peter
By Dave Phillips
Still Carp in a Middle East summer lunchtime dust-bowl though. I guess that isn't necessarily on everyone's list of essential criteria though.
By PeteSpencer
Dave Phillips wrote:Still Carp in a Middle East summer lunchtime dust-bowl though. I guess that isn't necessarily on everyone's list of essential criteria though.

Horses for courses: I don't suppose my Mars Bar in flight sustenance would last five minutes in same circumstances.

Pepperami might though.

Peter
By mmcp42
PeteSpencer wrote:
flybymike wrote:Do you have a link to the specific mount you use Pete?

Here ya go mike: scroll down to the one with the built in cable.Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.
iPadmini4 just slides in and engages plug, cutting down on number of connections to come loose.

It's supplied with self tappers for flush mounting in cars , but I used an old Garmin Pilot 3 mount I had to clamp it to the yoke: It has industry-norm mounting holes.

I guess RAM do one too.
https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/holders ... 2C%20A1550).htm

you need to type link out in full as hyperlink omits .htm at the end and gives 'page not found'

Peter

here ya go
https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/holders/Apple/iPad%20Mini%204%20(A1538%2C%20A1550).htm