Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Straight Level
CloudHound wrote:Yes, but...
The problem is that the two official sources of info, NATS and CAA have some lag in their systems. As I have a pint waiting for me in the bar I haven't time to explain in detail, just to say http://www.newfrequency.co.uk has proved invaluable thus far.

Why oh why can't the date of the frequency change can't be synchronised with the AIP/NATS/CAA update cycle. :scratch:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Straight Level wrote:
The problem is that the two official sources of info, NATS and CAA have some lag in their systems. As I have a pint waiting for me in the bar I haven't time to explain in detail, just to say http://www.newfrequency.co.uk has proved invaluable thus far.

Why oh why can't the date of the frequency change can't be synchronised with the AIP/NATS/CAA update cycle. :scratch:

Because the frequency change is coordinated by the regulator, OfCom, who know nothing of AIRAC cycles. They've only just progressed beyond kilocycles!
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By skydriller
T67M wrote:
Straight Level wrote:

Because the frequency change is coordinated by the regulator, OfCom, who know nothing of AIRAC cycles. They've only just progressed beyond kilocycles!

Arent NOticeToAirMen supposed to be used to, you know, like , give notice to airmen (and women), of changes exactly like this before flight so that we know that there has been a change to the published frequency?

Regards, SD..
By Charliesixtysix
Oh good grief no. No room for anything useful like that, it is far too full of NOTNAMs (NOtice To No AirMen)- giving roughly zero information to the roughly zero pilots transiting Ukraine, Afghanistan, Mali, N Korea, Syria etc. etc. who have not noticed it has been a bit dodgy around those parts for the last half decade or so.....
skydriller liked this
By xtophe
skydriller wrote:Arent NOticeToAirMen supposed to be used to, you know, like , give notice to airmen (and women), of changes exactly like this

And the power that be will tell you that there is 1 NOTAM telling you to read SUP 002/18 and 2 telling you about SUP 019/18. With a third telling that the Manchester bit doesn't apply until November.

That they are whole FIR EGXX NOTAM with a 999 NM radius might explain why they are lost or not displayed well on graphical tool.

Why they chose the lazy, uncoordinated way, is an other question.
By T67M
Even when NOTAMs are issued, they are obviously written by people with a very poor command of the English Language. The Oxford Approach NOTAM, for example, can be read in at least four different ways. IMO there should be a standard format: "From <date> <time> Bigtown Tower will operate on 1ab.cde - the old frequency of 1vw.xyz will be withdrawn from use from this date."
Straight Level liked this
By JonathanB
T67M wrote:IMO there should be a standard format: "From <date> <time> Bigtown Tower will operate on 1ab.cde"

Even better, just leave it there and don’t even mention the old frequency!
By Irv Lee
Rob P wrote:Note to Irv. Time to update the Squawk card on FlysUndone?

I agree, but not me any more.. I had to reluctantly walk away last September having personally experienced and reported some unacceptable things behind the infringement scene and got no satisfactory answers or corrective action. One of the issues was around a LOT of work I had done voluntarily on listening squawks.
By A le Ron
I flew into silence around Birmingham last week. It really irks me that there was no hint of the new frequencies in the "current" databases for which I pay hundreds of pounds per year. This is dangerous.
2Donkeys, mmcp42, Marvin and 7 others liked this
By Marvin
Straight Level wrote:

Not sure if your post may refer to the following:

There is a standard 90 day delay in notification of change to it appearing in the UK AIP, or any other State AIP for that matter. hence the publication of a NOTAM from Date/Time to Permanent. Many 3rd party briefing suppliers, Jepp and others take the NOTAM as an indication to prepare an update.

Sadly many of the Program/Project Managers I worked alongside didn't realise this and anyway the CAA seem to have a policy of not encouraging NOTAM for the frequency updates. There would be a lot so I can see that the system would blossom in content.

If the licensing people are only notifying the new frequencies on renewal of the licence, or application for a new one, then those parameters are often shorter than the 90 days, we had official notification of our new frequency 30 odd days ahead of new allocation.
By Rob P
Irv Lee wrote:... but not me any more.. I had to reluctantly walk away last September having personally experienced and reported some unacceptable things behind the infringement scene and got no satisfactory answers or corrective action.

That's sad news Irv :(

Rob P
By T67M
A le Ron wrote:I flew into silence around Birmingham last week. It really irks me that there was no hint of the new frequencies in the "current" databases for which I pay hundreds of pounds per year. This is dangerous.

For that matter, why does that particular highly-priced data provider refuse to list Farnborough East and North as Enroute frequencies? Even West is only there as an Airport frequency. I've reported it three times, but they refuse to add them.
By GAFlyer4Fun
A le Ron wrote:I flew into silence around Birmingham last week. It really irks me that there was no hint of the new frequencies in the "current" databases for which I pay hundreds of pounds per year. This is dangerous.

When my home base missed 2 AIRAC cycles of databases I mentioned it to the AIS people that issue the AIS SUP that tells us of the changes. They said it was not being picked up because it was an unlicensed airfield. NATS and the CAA got involved. The CAA guy offered to make contact with the company that provides the database to the well know panel mount GPS/Nav/Com units to see if they could be of assistance with the changes coming in this year.
I don't know how far they got with that, but on the next AIRAC cycle my airfield had the correct 8.33 kHz channel.
Thank you for the help NATS and CAA.
By GAFlyer4Fun
T67M wrote:For that matter, why does that particular highly-priced data provider refuse to list Farnborough East and North as Enroute frequencies? Even West is only there as an Airport frequency. I've reported it three times, but they refuse to add them.

Not sure if it is entirely the data provider at fault. By coincidence I mentioned it to the manufacturer of your radio last year and the answer was something like the software does not recognise LARS, and as LARS is particular to the UK and their product is international they are unlikely to change the software to handle the LARS system as IFR flights in the airways are unlikely to use LARS. Yes I did point out there are VFR users of these panel mounts.

I guess you will have to store the LARS units of interest in the numbered presets.... or just type them on the touch screen.