Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Proud as punch of our shiny new radio I set off for Welshpool with Mr Crowe (senior) as my companion.

Not having absorbed the manual or figured out how to get stuff from the memory, which was populated with help from here, I basically used it as an old-fashioned flip-flop comms set.

Around Birmingham I dutifully tuned 118.050 and set the appropriate squawk (0010). Total silence. :shock: I feared our expensive purchase was a dud. But tuning any other frequency resulted in a satisfying babble of voices. This persisted for ten minutes or so until we went to the next unit.

I note there is another Bham Approach frequency (131.000), is it likely that they were all chattering away on that one? People say that a listening squawk aids situational awareness. I'm afraid this one didn't.

Rob P

I have toyed with posting this in the 'no flaming' students forum in case I have missed something basic. :oops:
By Rob P
Grrrrr! :evil:

Many thanks

Rob P

And if I'd used the radio's database that would have come up. It's a bit of a bollox-up all this, isn't it?
Cessna57 liked this
By FlarePath
Similar to a short sharp lesson I learned when using my Garmin Aera 500 in flight without having absorbed some basics from the manual.

When selecting a "Direct-To" unlike my previous Garmin Pilot III you have to accept the destination with the BIG green tick to confirm, not doing that led to a confusing mismatch betwix chart and ground until the reality of my failure to learn about aeroplane equipment while safely sitting in an armchair became apparent. :roll:
Rob P liked this
By gasman
We also encountered the quiet 118.050 whilst en- route to Welshpool on Saturday.
In our defence both the UK AIP and SkyDemon still show Brum Approach as 118.050 :evil:
By Charley Farley
We also passed Birmingham at the weekend and were also tuned to 118.050 (taken from SkyDemon and no Notams to contradict) and with the listening squawk......and wondering why it was so quiet.

Frustrating isn't it?
Maybe should have looked at the "New Frequencies" web site:
https://www.newfrequency.co.uk
But having three Approach frequencies listed (albeit with only one with the listening squawk against it) is also somewhat confusing.
Last edited by Charley Farley on Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
gasman wrote: ... whilst en- route to Welshpool on Saturday.

Isn't it rather a splendid place to visit? Bacon butties at £2 :shock: and a lovely seating area overlooking the runway.

Rob P

Note to Irv. Time to update the Squawk card on FlysUndone?
By Shoestring Flyer
Charley Farley wrote:We also passed Birmingham at the weekend and were also tuned to 118.050 (taken from SkyDemon and no Notams to contradict) and with the listening squawk.

Frustrating isn't it?
Maybe should have looked at the "New Frequencies" web site:
https://www.newfrequency.co.uk
But having three Approach frequencies listed (albeit with only one with the listening squawk against it) is also somewhat confusing.

I would respectfully suggest that we all need to be keeping a close watch on the official NATS AIS site all this year and not some home grown version.
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=18.html
By FlarePath
I know they will always get most of the flack, but, Farnboro' is certainly one I would avoid as they only seem to use it to call up an aircraft so that "instructions" can be passed to a pilot who has no need or wants to be "basic'd or traffic'd", other than that, I always if poss use LS's as it's a "no-cost" option when flying.
Rob P, Talkdownman, bogopper liked this
By Charliesixtysix
I suspect the 'secret' frequency change might be one reason why I got a VFR transit direct overhead the airport there so easily a week last Sunday. Possibly because I was the only GA bod on the proper Birmingham frequency it was very peaceful and he seem quite happy to chat to a puddle jumper - I hasten to add that this arose not due to me being clever, but thanks to the switched-on Shobdon bod correcting me to the new frequency when I proudly announced on leaving Shobdon: 'changing to B'Ham on 118.050...' :thumright:
Rob P liked this
By CloudHound
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would respectfully suggest that we all need to be keeping a close watch on the official NATS AIS site all this year and not some home grown version.

Yes, but...

The problem is that the two official sources of info, NATS and CAA have some lag in their systems. As I have a pint waiting for me in the bar I haven't time to explain in detail, just to say http://www.newfrequency.co.uk has proved invaluable thus far.