Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Freeflight
For clarity:

The European airspace mandate for ADS-B OUT is effective from June 2020, and from January 2020 for US airspace operations.

All aircraft with a MTOW of 5,700 Kg or above, OR a max cruising TAS of 250kts or above at ISA, must comply (the same requirements as the current EHS Mode S transponder mandate)

If you don't sort by the deadline:

Your aircraft will not be permitted into controlled airspace, so no IFR operations.

Your aircraft is likely to be effectively grounded

Your airworthiness covenants with a lending bank are likely to have been broken
By ls8pilot
FYI - A number of devices commonly fitted in the gliding community provide voice warnings using Flarm/PowerFlarm data feeds. So on mine (an LX8000 Nav / variometer) a nice lady says something like

"Warning Traffic, 3 O'clock, 2 km, 300ft above"

Or if the target is registered on flarmnet

"Warning, G-XXXX, etc"

You can even tell it how often you want the warning, so typically I have it set so having warned me once it will not repeat the warning for the same traffic.

A stand alone audio output from SkyEcho 2 would be nice!

I'm waiting for SkyEcho 2 to become available then I think I may go that route, even though it doesn't integrate with my Nav kit or Flarm warnings at least it might help others with PAW or ADSB-IN to see me!
gaznav liked this
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The PilotAware, (in the latest released version AIUI), does integrate with gliding Nav kit. So that gives you Flarm (from the Flarm), PAW and ADSB-in* combined. (*edited for clarification).

I've been testing it with an engineering release.

Paul
Last edited by PaulisHome on Mon May 21, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GolfHotel
PaulisHome wrote:The PilotAware, (in the latest released version AIUI), does integrate with gliding Nav kit. So that gives you Flarm (from the Flarm), PAW and ADSB combined.

I've been testing it with an engineering release.

Paul

So if it gives you ADSB . And you mean that it is full ADSB in and out there’s not much point on having a separate frequency and protocol. Can you turn off the PA frequency? In that case I might change my mind and get PA. Especially as it’s improved from the maplins problem, of course the price has gone up.. so most of the rational of “I can only afford £200 for safety has rather been scuppered. I guess the fanboys will love it anyway :D :D :D

Of course there is still the problem of just one aerial but maybe they will fix that next. So maybe the next iteration for me. If it can output to my panel screen, and gains decent filtering. I guess by the time it’s up to scratch the price will have gone up again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy flying everyone.
By TC_LTN
gaznav wrote:
Can you run an iPhone and an iPad with SD and SkyEcho all at the same time?

Best, Gaz

Yes, that was the point in the design. You can run SD with all your moving map functionality on the iPad and SD Traffic on your phone for a smaller dedicated display although with the redundancy of pop-up window emulated on iPad should you need it.
gaznav liked this
By TC_LTN
PaulisHome wrote:I think there's an important issue that hasn't yet figured in this conversation, which probably means that there's no 'one size fits all' solution. And that's traffic density.

If you are flying in relatively uncongested airspace, and your intention is to stay away from other traffic, then a system that alerts you to traffic inside a few miles will work well. A radar traffic service is an example of this. Or TCAS. PAW has audio warnings, not sure about the uAvionix products.

If the airspace is congested, then such systems are more or less useless. Being warned of traffic three miles away, when you have 10 contacts within one mile, is not helpful. That's where Flarm's anti-collision algorithms come in. You can keep your eyes out of the cockpit and will get told of dangerously conflicting traffic,

I've been experimenting with this. I've got the ability to split the screen on my nav computer in two - top half is a 'radar plot' of traffic (Flarm, ADSB and PAW), bottom half is map. My observation is that this works well when there isn't much traffic. When it's really busy it's much less helpful.

I think the various traffic awareness systems will need to put more effort into anti-collision algorithms, as opposed to traffic awareness algorithms if they are to overcome this. However, that's precisely where Flarm's intellectual property is (they have licensed some patents in the area). What I don't know is exactly what those patents cover, and so how restrictive they are.

Paul

I think you make some very good points about the algorithm driving the traffic display. The SkyDemon Traffic display differentiates between those contacts which present a threat and auto-zooms to concentrate attention on those targets which are closing and conflicting. It is certainly not as simple as just displaying or annunciating everything in busy airspace.

It is well worth playing with SkyDemon in simulator mode and generating spawned aircraft then driving them into confliction to realise just how clever the algorithm is.
G-JWTP, gaznav liked this
By GolfHotel
exfirepro wrote:GolfHotel,

Paul presumably meant FLARM, PAW and ADSB IN. PilotAware still doesn’t do ADSB OUT.

Peter

oh i didn't expect misleading information about PA. :twisted:
By gaznav
Dave Phillips wrote:Thin ice there, Gaznav. :) How many missiles/bullets fired by F2/3 in anger over the same period? ;)

Denied twice in my time - MiG23 ran away just short of missile launch success zone and denied a helicopter because the CAOC wouldn’t authorise engagement. Many other similar instances amongst mates. However, not one friendly aircraft lost to enemy air to air fire when flying Offensive Counter Air missions - so that is a good measure of success.
PaulSS, kanga liked this
By stevewarbs
leemoore1966 wrote:additionally we are working on something very exciting which will be trialled shortly, which will render this data far more useful.
Something no other Conspicuity device can do - at any price

Hi Lee, is this going to be a software upgrade to the Rosetta or a new device? I ask as I am waiting to place an order.....
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stevewarbs wrote:Hi Lee, is this going to be a software upgrade to the Rosetta or a new device? I ask as I am waiting to place an order.....

It may need a software update for display purposes but definitely won't be any new hardware for this.

The weather reception stuff as and when will need an extra SDR and an antenna splitter cable but they are easily added.
kanga liked this