Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GolfHotel
Has anyone been into EBCI - CHARLEROI recently?

I have to get to the center of Brussles for the weekend and this seems the best bet from what I've read on here. But it seems a bit big to be GA friendly.
By Peter Mundy
I suspect that Antwerp will be easier and there is always Grimbergen, right next to Brussels
By Rallye
Charleroi is now an important airport with Ryanairs arriving and departing every minut.Maybee you will make 360 ° a little time,so take care on the petrol.Not far from Charleroi,in case of problem,you have EBNM (Namur-Suarlée) but it is not a custom airport.
And check before going if there are not slots for vfr flights (Belgocontrol)
Otherwize easy communication for Brussels,Lille,Luxembourg)via busses just outside the airport.But you will arrive at the opposite side of the airport (general aviation) and all the facilities,busses,etc... are at the commercial terminal.
By 4535jacks
I am planning a CPL qualifying cross-country into Kortrijk-Wevelgem next month. I will only be on the ground for a few hours so will stay at the Airport. Is there a cafe there and what are the landing fees like and are there any hidden handling fees.
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
4535jacks wrote:............ Is there a cafe there and what are the landing fees like and are there any hidden handling fees.

Landing fee is quite reasonable - as I mentioned earlier they want to invoice you rather than pay on the day.
There was a sort of bar/café right next to the fuel pumps (beneath the tower). Perhaps I was simply unlucky as to my timing , but it was closed last time I was there - In any event though. there wasn't a lot of choice foodwise.
There is/was a restaurant in the new building just west of the pumps (where the Border people are ensconced) but I never visited it. toilets too, are in that building.
By GolfHotel
Thanks @Rallye I’ve booked into Chareliroi now. It’s only about 30 Euro plus about 4 a day for parking. I’m fine fitting in with Ryanair if I have to. But not too sure about grass with a laden sr20 so going for safety on a long runway and I need customs for leaving for home.
By Stu B
Kortrijk is my preferred point of Schengen entry if heading further east. Bell-X hotel right beside the airfield and restaurant next door too. More convenient in that respect than either Ostend or Charleroi - though Charleroi wins hands down on price - under 10 Euros IIRC for an international arrival, landing and overnight parking (620kg MAUW) - a real bargain and less than a third of the price of Kortrijk or Ostend.
Note that there are only a very few belgian airfields that are permissible Schengen entry/exit points - Ostend, Kortrijk, Charleroi, Brussel National, Antwerp and Liege I think.
I once attended the fly-in at Schaffen-Diest and field a flight plan direct back to UK (as did very many other Brits). We all later got letters from the Belgian police pointing out the error of our ways!
By Lefty
4535jacks wrote:I am planning a CPL qualifying cross-country into Kortrijk-Wevelgem next month. I will only be on the ground for a few hours so will stay at the Airport. Is there a cafe there and what are the landing fees like and are there any hidden handling fees.

There is a restaurant in the airport, but has slightly restricted opening hours. It was closed when we arrived at about 3.00pm. There is cafe / tapas bar just 50m outside the terminal that is very good. It has iPads on every table and you order directly on the iPad.
By brentford77
Planning a day trip to Brussels for a meeting on June 4. Is the accepted wisdom of the board that Charleroi is the sensible option? I see Brussels main is mandatory handling but no prices are indicated.
By mmcp42
I've used Charleroi for visiting customers in Brussels
always found it friendly and don't recall being shocked by the prices
(a few years ago mind you)

was downwind to land - EZY was on finals - pilot waved as we passed one another :)

doing departure checks when a couple of fast jets took off - very noisy - but great fun to watch :)
By 2Donkeys
For any business address in the centre of Brussels, Antwerp is FAR better than Charleroi. The ease of access and flight times from the UK make for a shorter flight, and once on the ground, the transit time to Brussels is shorter. Charleroi for Brussels is strictly a Ryanair invention.
By 2Donkeys
A late breaking reply to a comment on the previous page by @150bugsmasher

He/she writes:

They treat you like royalty (marsallers / vans to drive you around the airport in!) but charge you almost nothing (cheaper than L2K)

All of that is true-ish, but it is worthwhile taking note that unlike Le Touquet, Ostend charges a per-occupant fee. Landing one or two up in PA28 on a day trip may well work out (marginally) cheaper than the same landing at Le Touquet. Try landing four up (or as in my case six up) and the effect of the per-occupant charge really starts to kick in. Ostend can quickly become a great deal more expensive than Le Touquet.

None of this should detract from the brilliant experience represented by both airports.

Things my mob like about Ostend:

Short flight
Cheap transport into town (regular very cheap bus service from door to door)
Great shopping
Great food
Nice for an overnight/decent nightlife
Great beach (if the weather plays ball)
Easy to get to Bruges if the mood grabs you
Friendly airport staff

Things they don't like

It can be a protracted and fiddly process getting through the airport in both directions, especially on the way back out to the aircraft. You could be sitting in a restaurant eating at Le Touquet in the time between shutdown and leaving Ostend airport.
By kanga
2Donkeys wrote:For any business address in the centre of Brussels, Antwerp is FAR better than Charleroi. .. Charleroi for Brussels is strictly a Ryanair invention.

.. but Charleroi is better for Mons (SHAPE) than Brussels .. :)

[when MP3 was pondering potential new scheduled routes to pitch to small operators a few years back, I suggested that Charleroi would attract a fair amount of business to/from Staverton, because of the NATO ARRC at Innsworth and other military bases hereabouts]