Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cessna57
kilburnflyer wrote:The pricing implies it's an annual subscription to use it.

Is that correct / is that the same for the classic unit?

You mean because it’s so cheap?

No, the initial cost is for the hardware and the first year subscription.

After that it’s £12+vat per year.

Yes, that’s right £1 per month.

Pays to keep the developers in Pizza and Beer while they write the quarterly upgrades. (but not much else!)

Maybe they should charge £400 and no subscription like the competition.

At £1 a month, thats 20 years subscription. :lol:

The Classic is £139+vat.

INCLUDING the first year subscription.

£1 a month there after.

I don’t know what you fly, but for me that’s a cost of 40 seconds flight time a month AFTER the first year. I agree with GazNav, I’d rather have a MidAir. :roll:
kanga, flyingeeza, karlbown liked this
By gaznav
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly, that is why I am always wary of “plus VAT” sales; it has an air of dodgy about it in the retail sector in my humble opinion. It oozes false representation of the real price.
By Longfinal
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m very keen on conspicuity given I instruct in a very busy bit of airspace and regularly marvel at how late some sightings are, even with a traffic service. I once thought that PAW might be the way to get a relatively cheap conspicuity capability but, having seen the new Skyecho at Aero Expo, I think that’s way I’ll go. It seems to me that it’s a very compact box, well priced, with good rechargeable battery life that works using ADSB which I’m sure will be the final standard.

What am I missing?
gaznav liked this
By gaznav
Longfinal, the final piece in the jigsaw is being able to transmit Mode S concurrently with SkyEcho transmitting ADS-B. Trials are ongoing but understood to be positive towards the final outcome. Once that final outcome of concurrent use is approved I am 100% with you.

I am an avid fan and user of SkyEcho but neither aircraft I regularly fly have a transponder. It is a cheap and easy way to be conspicuous to an internationally recognised aviation standard. I also believe that their ergonomics are far superior to both FLARM and Pilot Aware - which is important to me.

I believe that use of SkyEcho with a Mode A and C is approved - can anyone confirm?
By Longfinal
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have Mode S so I believe I could use SE in receive only and all will be well. Won’t even have to think of that if, as expected, the concurrent SE ADSB and transponder trial proves there is no problem.
gaznav liked this
By Straight Level
Longfinal wrote:What am I missing?

LF,
You'll be missing the gliders.
This screenshot taken from Glider Tracker approx 2 days ago.
The area shown, north of Turweston to South of Newbury is well covered by OGN stations and coverage gaps in other areas being filled in daily, will be shown on a PAW (or Flarm) set up.

An ADSB only system is only showing a tiny fraction of whats out there.
Yes, maybe ADSB is the system of the future, your choice of what the system of today is :-)
SL
neilmurg, Paul_Sengupta, Ian Melville and 1 others liked this