Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Charliesixtysix
I doubt it would be possible for £60-65k by the time a propeller, cockpit interior, painting and the million small bits not included in a kit are factored in.....All of which needs 20% VAT adding, then almost £1000 for fees to initial permit.

As Nick said above....there are builds... and builds.

Before buying our own aircraft three years ago I did the calculations and decided it was impossible to build the RV7 that we wanted for what we would have to pay to buy one that was already built and flying - and still leave a fair budget to go though it and bring it up our desired spec.

I think that still holds good now, even with the increase in price of aircraft sold recently. Current new parts prices and exchange rates make it look like an £85k budget would be quite hard to come in on for everything needed to build a well spec'd all-new RV8 with a decent c/s prop. Savings could be made by going for std kit (slow build) and cheaper end of engine and prop combinations .... but either way you would have to be very dedicated to the build to fly it inside 2-3 years, more likely (much) longer.

Of course going for a used engine could be another saving... or cost a fortune.... :wink:

The above assumes completely self built - All bets are off if any paid for labour is to be factored in.
Nick liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If one googles Christopher Ryan and RV-8, there's an account of how he built one for <$50k in 2011, but this required a lot of diligent sourcing of second-hand engine and instruments.
(I can only find a Facebook link at the moment, but there's another source somewhere.)
By mona44
Dollars are more or less parity with the Pound once you've imported everything and paid Vat.

For an RV7:
Quick build kit £36000
Engine £28000 (180 M1B)
CS Prop £8000
Dynon dual screen avionics suite £20000
Garmin or Avidyne nav/com £10000
Professional paint (Mick Allen or similar) £10000

That's already £112K. Nice interior £7-£10K. All the other 'bits' like firewall forward kits etc (soon adds up) - another £5-£6K? You're easily up at £125K invested. But you'll end up with a machine that will sell for £150K.
Waveflyer, Nick liked this
By hatzflyer
RV's seem to be advertised for far more on PlaneCheck suggesting that they go for more , this may be because Europeans were slow to cotton on to RV's . However they don't seem to sell as quickly as those in the UK.
I have seen RV4 s up for more than £100k .
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mona44 wrote:Dollars are more or less parity with the Pound once you've imported everything and paid Vat.

For an RV7:
Quick build kit £36000
Engine £28000 (180 M1B)
CS Prop £8000
Dynon dual screen avionics suite £20000
Garmin or Avidyne nav/com £10000
Professional paint (Mick Allen or similar) £10000

That's already £112K. Nice interior £7-£10K. All the other 'bits' like firewall forward kits etc (soon adds up) - another £5-£6K? You're easily up at £125K invested. But you'll end up with a machine that will sell for £150K.

If you are going to build a top spec machine yes that is what it will cost you (though actually a quick build is not top spec as they can suffer corrosion problems, a well built slow build is actually preferable ) , I also don’t think you need a CS prop, nice to fly but adding to maintenance costs, not needed for aeros - with a 180HP engine set 2500RPM at 150 kts and anyone half competent will gain height and you certainly don’t need the prop for take off performance!