Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone know whether there is a chart available which shows a simple overview of ALL the Prohibited, Danger and Restricted Areas in France?

What would be even better is if there were two: One that showed those active all the time and another that showed the situation at weekends.

This is for a Presentation, not for flight-planning, so the standard French charts or a SkyDemon screenshot would be too cluttered for my purposes.

I don't mean the very helpful AZBA charts which show the very low altitude R areas, but rather something that shows all of what is in French AIP ENR 5.1 in graphical form.

(Incidentally, when searching before asking this question, I was reminded that there is a French freephone number for the "AZBA" very low level Restricted areas in case you don't have internet access. It is +33 (0)800 24.54.66)
By skydriller
Well, there is this chart online:

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dvd/eAIP_29_MAR_2018/FRANCE/AIRAC-2018-03-29/html/index-fr-FR.html

Which is a lower airspace route chart...

I know many years ago that there was a 1:1 000 000 chart which came with a booklet about restricted areas, but havent seen it since everything came online.

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
Thanks very much, but that's not quite what I mean.

I did find that one earlier, but I'd really like something that doesn't show any airspace other than the P, D and R areas.

The aim of the intended presentation slide is to show - in a way that can be easily assimilated - how widespread they are, and then to describe (better than my presentation currently does) why you shouldn't worry about it and how to plan.
By Dave W
Thanks to an anonymous lurker, I now have what I want, and in hindsight it was blindingly obvious.

In SD, simply switch off in Mapping everything except P, D & R Areas. Simples.

Is there anything SkyDemon cannot do? For the next Release: One sugar, please, Tim. :D

And the Weekend version:

skydriller, kanga, mick w liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Anonymous lurker got here before me!

The French really do love their P, R and D areas.
Dave W liked this
I remember getting very intimidated by the Southern ones when bringing an aeroplane back from Spain, until I realised that the Armee de l'air simply don't get up early, and as long as I did and flew through them all before 1000L, I was absolutely fine.

G
By GrahamB
Tim Dawson wrote:Anonymous lurker got here before me!

The French really do love their P, R and D areas.

They do, but close examination of ENR 5.1 usually shows that many of the R’s are only shut at certain times, or perfectly transitable once radio contact is made.
Tim Dawson, AlanC liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I remember getting very intimidated by the Southern ones when bringing an aeroplane back from Spain, until I realised that the Armee de l'air simply don't get up early, and as long as I did and flew through them all before 1000L, I was absolutely fine.

G

Just in case anyone believes that sweeping statement, it's worth noting that they do sometimes get up early. A quick look at the daily AZBA notifications will tell you if they are planning a grasse matinée or not.

Here's an example.

Ian
G-BLEW wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I remember getting very intimidated by the Southern ones when bringing an aeroplane back from Spain, until I realised that the Armee de l'air simply don't get up early, and as long as I did and flew through them all before 1000L, I was absolutely fine.

G

Just in case anyone believes that sweeping statement, it's worth noting that they do sometimes get up early. A quick look at the daily AZBA notifications will tell you if they are planning a grasse matinée or not.

Here's an example.

Ian

Well, it worked that week - but yes, I did spend several hours the evening before double checking, and would next time as well.

But, it may yet be a useful starting point for somebody else.

G
By Paul_Sengupta
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:

G

Here's an example.

Ian

Well, it worked that week - but yes, I did spend several hours the evening before double checking, and would next time as well.

But, it may yet be a useful starting point for somebody else.

G

Conversely, I've always found when I've been there that they're active early in the morning, all wrapped up and done by 8am or 10am. Which suits my time zone quite well! ;-)
skydriller liked this