Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sharpshotg
I used to base my private flying at BHX/EGBB for nigh on 17 years, but am now an avid strip flyer with about 5 years experience to date.
I would not dream of landing on anyone's Private Property (read Farm Strip) without asking permission and getting a briefing of sorts. The exception being in an emergency of course. If I were to help myself and just turn up unannounced, the word TRESPASS springs to mind, and let's face it, that could get you shot in some parts of the world.

So, why is it that some pilots think it's their God given right to land and take-off from strips without permission?
This happened on various occasions last year at the strip where I am fortunate enough to keep my aircraft and the silly season re-commenced yesterday when some pilot displayed their Airmanship by landing, doing a quick 180 and departing again making a racket low level over a local conurbation that we, as good neighbours, avoid.

Those of us who know better, are responsible and retain some manners might just want some information prior to being rude and in some cases foolhardy:
What are the strip conditions;
Are there any Public Footpaths crossing the strip; (why? because the ramblers have right of way!)
What local residences/villages should not be overflown;
What are the runway headings;
Are there runway slopes that will impact your aircraft's performance;
Do we use Safetycom;
What is the strip elevation;
Are there any crops planted;
Is any livestock likely to graze on the strip;
What hazards exist - especially in terms of obstacles/cables etc.;
What are the surface conditions generally like; one area on the strip will launch you if you
mistakenly touchdown on it;
Are any fences, elctric or otherwise in use to contain farm animals;
Herras fencing may at times be used to segregate parts of the strip for livestock;
(how close could you get landing into a low sun before spotting it)
Military helicopters pre-book to use the strip for training throughout the year - they do not use Safetycom;
(flaring or rotating when a couple of Chinooks come into view around some trees might increase the heartbeat!)
How would your Insurers react to a claim if anything untoward happened and you had not spoken to the owner?

A lot of homeowners do not take kindly to drivers turning their vehicles on their driveways, so how do you think strip owners feel when you turn up unannounced?

It is not that difficult to find contact numbers for many of the farm strips and surprisingly, many are all too pleased to say YES, do come and visit, just let me have some details.
So please, do the right thing......
seanxair, PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I responded before to the OPs post but it got edited by the mods: I didn't agree with the editing so I deleted it: Subsequently all trace that I had posted vanished, so I'll try again.
I'll make a number of non-contentious points:

The OP will cut down on visitors abusing his strip if he makes his contact details easily available (ours are on SD). Phone calls are followed up by sending PPR Briefing with a map if indicated: We have noise sensitive areas at all points of the compass and one briefing image consists of a SD screenshot (thanks Tim) showing these areas.

A second, written sheet of A4 further gives navigational details , describes the noise sensitive areas , stresses all circuits to the north,,and a number of safety linked gotchas warning of windshear over trees alongside the strip, need to join overhead to allow aeromodellers spotter to get the models down, and advice to use safetycom on approach (and also on the ground prior to takeoff (I know, I know :roll: ).

Casual droppers in are discouraged firstly by the odd shape of the strip and further by lack of any white markings or numbers.

The OP however needs to look inwardly as he may find users of his own strip blatantly disregarding recommendations of the briefing.

In that case the remedy is plain.

Peter
By Sharpshotg
Pete Spencer - luckily we read your initial response, and thank you.
'Seconded' was a nice start.

One issue I overlooked originally is the matter of grass cutting, or more importantly silage cutting.
Contractor's are brought in, probably by a number of strip owners and from experience, letting them know that you wish to land and can they please cease just for a few minutes is akin to playing poker with those from another galaxy :D
By PeteSpencer
Sharpshotg wrote:Pete Spencer - luckily we read your initial response, and thank you.
'Seconded' was a nice start.

One issue I overlooked originally is the matter of grass cutting, or more importantly silage cutting.
Contractor's are brought in, probably by a number of strip owners and from experience, letting them know that you wish to land and can they please cease just for a few minutes is akin to playing poker with those from another galaxy :D

We get round this one by having our own vintage Fergie with triple gang mowers and each of our group(7) as we lease the strip from the farmer, take it in turns to cut the grass on a monthly Rota.

PPR brief urges visitors to over fly the tractor combo not lower than 500ft to attract mower's attention but not to land till mower has clearly moved out of the way and stopped...
By James Chan
I completely agree that every a visit to any farm strip is similar to parking someone's car up someone else's driveway, and that permission must be sought before landing.

One problem (or feature!) in the UK is that there are many publically available privately-owned aerodromes (i.e. not strips) operating under an ordinary or public-use license. Pilots who visit these feel they have a sense of entitlement to use them and also some operators are quite relaxed about aircraft requesting PPR in the air.

However this has also flowed over to farm strips.

Perhaps I can suggest some things to discourage unauthorised use:
1) Paint the letters P R I V A T E in large in white down the full length of the strip so that anyone flying is made clear their presence is not ordinarily wanted.
2) Ensure the strip plate is only given to those who have already sought permission. Don't publish them in any VFR guide.
3) Where possible, ensure any VFR chart (electronic or otherwise) has the letters "Pvt" or similar written there.

I hope this helps.
By Flintstone
James Chan wrote:1) Paint the letters P R I V A T E in large in white down the full length of the strip so that anyone flying is made clear their presence is not ordinarily wanted.

Which will disappear after a few showers or a single mowing.

In any event, why should a strip owner have to go to such lengths? It’s really quite simple. If it ain’t yours or you don’t have permission to land there, then don’t.
PeteSpencer, Ben K, Charliesixtysix and 10 others liked this
By James Chan
In any event, why should a strip owner have to go to such lengths?

They don't have to, just as any farmer doesn't have to grow a hedge to mark his land, or home owner doesn't have to put a gate on their front drive, or hang up Private signs up telling ramblers on public footpaths not to wander in.

But someone complained here, so I gave a suggestion. I've seen it being done elsewhere by those sharing similar frustrations and seems to work.
By PeteSpencer
Thanks James Chan.

Having operated our complex SEP exclusively from grass for nearly a quarter of a century, I can tell you the only way to get ‘private’ down the middle of a strip for reasons given by Flinty would be to inlay the turf with white stones/chalk mix : and that ain’t gonna happen

It would have the same effect as the farmer who wrote ‘p i s s. off Biggles’ on the roof of his farmhouse in Wales to discourage Brenda’s boys.

Best way to avoid casual inconsiderate strip use is to put a contact phone no. on internet nav platforms -mine is on two -and allows me to give a verbal brief and email images. Pilots are very considerate once briefed.

Best security feature from ground point of view was to put up locked gates all round.

Something tells me you haven’t flown from farms trips much, have you? :wink: :wink:
By James Chan
and that ain’t gonna happen

I'm afraid I have no idea of the technicalities needed to achieve that - only that I have seen it being done before.

Something tells me you haven’t flown from farms trips much, have you?

I have flown out of a few but as most of my destinations tend to be in cities it doesn't make sense to pay a £30 taxi journey from the strip. I could see myself doing more strips in future if I had more friends who live in the country. :D
By Dave Phillips
It was probably a city boy who availed himself of Sharpshotg's strip. :)

It's just rude and that sort of person will most likely not give two hoots about a SD entry etc.
By TopCat
Dave Phillips wrote:It's just rude and that sort of person will most likely not give two hoots about a SD entry etc.

Yep. The people that would do the right thing anyway, don't need telling, and telling the ones that won't, will make no difference to them.

Quite apart from the bad manners, it's a bit boggling that anyone would land anywhere unknown without checking out the condition of the strip first.
mick w, cockney steve liked this
By James Chan
I will say the city boys I've met don't ordinarily drive up people's drives. So I don't see them necessarily doing the same with aeroplanes. :)