Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I did mine just after the rating was introduced (nearly 9 years ago) - and when people didn't really know what to teach / examine on.

My instructor and examiner asked me what a/c types I expected to instruct on?

Perhaps naively, I replied, "All SEP types on which I am current - eg Piper Cub, Citabria Warrior, Arrow, Cherokee Six, Saratoga, and C172 & 182". They then insisted that I demonstrated all of the standard manoeuvres on the Cub, Warrior, Arrow, Saratoga and C182 - then the examiner made me do a (slightly) abbreviated flight test covering the basic manoeuvres on each type.

I hasten to say it wasn't at Andrewsfield, about whom I have heard nothing but excellent reviews.
Here's a link to WKW's rather excellent article in the AOPA magazine:-

https://www.iaopa.eu/mediaServlet/stora ... p34-35.pdf

The content of that great article is still valid, with a notable exception that CRIs can now be paid and don't have to give all their time for free.

I have had a CAA poo brown PPL for nearly 40 years but dropped back to an LAPL a couple of years ago. Can I do a CRI course or would I have to revalidate my PPL first?

You need an EASA PPL.

You'll also need a current Class 2 medical. You can't instruct on a LAPL medical (or any sort of Medical Declaration including the new online one)

Enjoy the course, and the instructing that follows...
By ClearOfCloud
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@wiskeykilowanderer good to meet you. Sorry it wasnt for longer - though if you had met me after the earlier sortie I dont think I'd have been fit to even say hello....suffice it to say that earlier hop was very far from my 'finest hour' in an aeroplane ;-)

David

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hi David,

Good to meet you in passing. I know the feeling, having been in similar post-sortie states, with the brain hanging limply between the ears….

I hope the rest of your course goes well and that you can ‘enjoy’ it. They are a good team at Andrewsfield and will do all they can to get you through successfully.

The good bit is that for your next revalidation in three years time, you can revalidate by experience as long as you’ve done ten or more hours instructing in the last 12 months of the rating validity. That’s what I was doing at Andrewsfield, as Carol kindly signed me off for another three years.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.
Whiskey Kilo Wanderer wrote:The good bit is that for your next revalidation in three years time, you can revalidate by experience as long as you’ve done ten or more hours instructing in the last 12 months of the rating validity. That’s what I was doing at Andrewsfield, as Carol kindly signed me off for another three years..

What sort of Instructing ?
How about 3 Axis Microlights or permit types does that count ?
By ClearOfCloud
So, the test happened a day earlier than planned but despite that and some quare flying on my part I managed to pass.
........though I'm beginning to wonder if the paper-work of getting it on the licence might not be the harder part LOL.

Major thanks to Bob Gardner & Carol Cooper of Andrewsfield and to my classmate of this parish, @alexbrett2 . Without all of their help I would be sobbing in my tea right now.

I suspect a blogpost or three shall be milked from this experience :-)
kanga liked this
By ClearOfCloud
I got low-confidence, rusty pilot ! Very convincing......probably actually helped me in the role of instructor.

@jaycee58 ....mine is an Irish issued licence, so we'll have to work it out with Dublin....I'm sure it'll be fine.

David
ClearOfCloud wrote:.though I'm beginning to wonder if the paper-work of getting it on the licence might not be the harder part LOL.

Keep us informed on that - my FI took 6 months to sort out !
Not good if that was to be your source of income .

ClearOfCloud wrote:Major thanks to Bob Gardner
"I See "

flybymike wrote:An ex member of our flying group did his FI rating with Carol.
I remember him telling me that he seriously wondered whether she could actually fly.

Funny that , As an instructor I wonder whether I can fly.

Recent flight with one of our distinguished forum members moved over to left seat.
Stick in left hand, throttle in right, almost 90 deg crosswind .
Said on final approach after watching the antics of those landing in front "If they can do it so can I "
Not entirely certain about that !