Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Happened to catch this BBC piece on delivery by drone. I had no idea it was at such an advanced stage. At 120m it is unlikely to conflict with most GA aircraft, however there are other concerns…noise, drone v drone accidents...

Left me a bit bewildered at the thought of drones flying 'safely' with a mix of technology developed by Vodafone and others and using available radar, whilst there seems to be little hope of collaboration to maximise safety fo GA.

Maybe they have yet to fully understand the challenge that lies before them? :lol:

Anyway I thought some may find it interesting?
Dave W liked this
Despite all the hype I cannot see this work.

Payload, range, interference, interception etc are all thingsI see as being obstacles and how about the actual 'delivery' They cannot sort this out 90% of the time with a human doing the job.
Ian Melville, mick w, AshleyFlynn23 and 2 others liked this
Recently, I had an interesting insight into the thinking of the non-aviation people who run CAA (look on the CAA website, the board is mostly non-aviation quangocrats with a small leavening of military, ATCO and airline people). One of them gave a five minute presentation, half of which was a pure advertising video produced by Uber showing a city of very tall buildings with CAVOK sky filled with uncrewed VTOL taxis. As far as I could tell from that day, the bosses of the CAA seem to think all that is needed is a little box in each drone and all is well. The one note of caution was sounded by a representative from one of the behemoth IT companies who very sensibly said that the practicalities of small parcel delivery are such that it might be limited to urgent medical supplies rather than last-minute tubes of toothpaste.
joe-fbs wrote:The one note of caution was sounded by a representative from one of the behemoth IT companies who very sensibly said that the practicalities of small parcel delivery are such that it might be limited to urgent medical supplies rather than last-minute tubes of toothpaste.

I think that is very much the short term case.

FD, did you actually watch the clip? :?
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:FD, did you actually watch the clip? :?

Not in the UK at then moment so can't, but viewed the other two links

Didn't think you had. Your view mirrors my view before I watched it. It seems to be a lot closer to happening than I realised, albeit not on the much talked about home delivery scale.

Have a look when you get home. I'd be interested in hearing if it changes your view in any way?
Just a few thoughts on this,

I assume the CAA will be controlling this, so I assume each drone will be registered and licenced, or is it just going to be a free for all?

Is every private strip now going to have to appear on charts and claim airspace in order to prevent drones wizzing through your circuit at 100mtrs unannounced?