Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rusty eagle
When I got my licence in the 80s (overseas then converted to UK at Biggin Hill) it was the norm to call base when turning on to base leg and final when turning to descend for landing. Now I see a lot of people will call final when turning base.

Has there been a change or is this just sloppy habits creeping in?
By Balliol
In a military oval circuit you call final as you commence the turn from the end of the downwind leg, perhaps due to some local procedure or odd circuit pattern you’ve seen something akin to this?
Lockhaven, kanga liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In normal circuits I think it's fairly clear.
I doubt it's the explanation here, but there are couple of places where I fly that don't have a straight final, and you effectively fly a base turn onto a 25 yard final to avoid overflying buildings. Convention there seems to be to call final about a mile out, as you are effectively on final at that point, albeit geometrically you are in a base position.
kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
The "if required" in CAP413 I would say is where judgement comes in.

If you make a normal habit of calling base, you're being a pillock.

If you've just joined AT base, or there are good reasons to think that the aeroplane behind you isn't sure where you are and would benefit from that knowledge, then it's probably good practice.

G
Ben K, DarrenL, FrankS and 2 others liked this
By Highland Park
It was made very clear to me by the then CFI that you do not call final until you’re actually on final, so that your (my) position report is accurate for others.

I only call base if either a) I’m joining the circuit from base leg if circuit traffic permits and it’s safe to do so and b) if I’m on base ahead of others in the circuit and they state they are not visual with me, simply to help them with their situational awareness....
townleyc, Bobcro liked this
By chevvron
Base leg joins are sometimes used at Fairoaks by aircraft joining via OCK for runway24; of course it's up to the pilot to ensure they don't get in the way of any other circuit traffic.
Balliol wrote:In a military oval circuit you call final as you commence the turn from the end of the downwind leg, perhaps due to some local procedure or odd circuit pattern you’ve seen something akin to this?

'NATO ' pattern circuit. Probably evolved from 'Spitfire' approaches where a continuous turn was used to keep the touchdown point in view.
I used to fly'em all the time at Halton if there was no other circuit traffic.
By Pete L
So that was you then ;-)

Four variants of final in use at Halton:

1. Cadets in motorgliders at the start of a curved base leg. RAF style I guess. (Although a run and break in a Vigilant is more of an amble and break).
2. Weekday spamcans -> CAP 413
3. Weekend spamcans -> Long Final (CAP 413)
4. Gliders -> ...silence...
Maxthelion liked this
By chevvron
Pete L wrote:So that was you then ;-)

Four variants of final in use at Halton:

1. Cadets in motorgliders at the start of a curved base leg. RAF style I guess. (Although a run and break in a Vigilant is more of an amble and break).
2. Weekday spamcans -> CAP 413
3. Weekend spamcans -> Long Final (CAP 413)
4. Gliders -> ...silence...

Not me mate; I was :
5. Weekday microlights practicing 'bad weather' circuits with no Vigilant flying in progress.
(The winch launched gliders weren't supposed to launch off the glider strip if someone was landing on the 'powered' runway so I liked to get down and out of their way as quick as possible - avoiding Weston Turville of course - especially when I saw someone sitting there with 'wings level').( I was tempted to say 'go ahead and launch, we won't get in each other's way' but then Roger Dixon, OC Airfield, may have been listening :wink: )
Last edited by chevvron on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Maxthelion
If I saw someone turning base and they called final, I would stay well back. I'm not a fan of anyone who behaves strangely in the circuit as it makes them unpredictable and therefore a potential threat. My giving them space would give them priority, but not because they're being assertive, rather because they're highlighting themselves as the kind of knob I'm better off staying well clear of.
Kemble Pitts liked this