Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The Department for Transport, run by the Secretary of State for Transport (since 14 July 2016) Chris Grayling, has appointed York Aviation to conduct a study into "a Strategic Network of UK Aerodromes".

In plain english - York Aviation are going to be reporting back to the DfT on the social and financial benefits of each type of General Aviation, both private and commercial at every GA airfield in the UK. The two 'benefits' are being measured on the specific impact to the UK economy and UK public. From this data all UK airfields will be evaluated on their importance to current and future use. From this list an optimal network of airfields will be recommended to the DfT together with a mechanism for how this network can be managed going forward.

http://airtimeaviation.com/aircraft/gen ... study.html
"From this data all UK airfields will be evaluated on their importance to current and future use."

Make no mistake, this is the Beeching moment for light aviation. An optimal network of airfields means Farnborough, Biggin and anywhere else that can be shown to be a bizjet cash cow. The rest will be of no economic benefit and, unless you want to fly off a farm strip, you will be buxxered because EVERY small airfield will be sacrificed to the market.
A fitness evaluation means only one thing. Ask the disabled.
JoeC, rf3flyer, DarrenL and 1 others liked this
tomshep wrote:"From this data all UK airfields will be evaluated on their importance to current and future use."

Make no mistake, this is the Beeching moment for light aviation. An optimal network of airfields means Farnborough, Biggin and anywhere else that can be shown to be a bizjet cash cow. The rest will be of no economic benefit and, unless you want to fly off a farm strip, you will be buxxered because EVERY small airfield will be sacrificed to the market.
A fitness evaluation means only one thing. Ask the disabled.

I totally agree.

My cynical conjecture...

This will lead to a Govt. white paper. A selection of airfields will be noted as viable and important to national infrastructer and protected through planning laws- this will be the sop to tweaking the planning laws in favour of airfield. Those not on the list will be unprotected from development. It will be a high price to pay for protecting a selection of airfields. No local politician or pressure group will be able to change these decisions once the white paper is published.
Crash one liked this
RichardPearse wrote:That article made the front page of the BBC website this morning. Which was a nice thing to discover over my coffee :D

It was preceded on the front page by a report of the death of a Swedish DJ who I had never heard of. Must be a quiet news day.
JoeC wrote:Ah, York Aviation who were appointed by Peel to study Sheffield City. Peel said the airfield was not viable and picked up the land for £1.

York Aviation who said Fairoaks wasn't viable as an airfield when in fact it's actually making a profit (just).