Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
TheFarmer wrote:I’d honestly avoid parking any aircraft outside of you can help it. The rate of decline of condition is scary compared to being inside.

Hangarage costs might seem like dead money, but you’ll be paying the same in corrosion repairs and re-painting over time.

I agree, but the airfield I’d like to park it at only lets warbirds in it’s hangars, and I can’t afford one of those ;-)
In the South of England where hangarage is £400/month, depending on the type and how good the covers are, it's worth parking out side and sucking up a respray every 10 years. It costs about £100/month to park outside and the £300/month you save quickly accrues to more than the cost of a respray.

I'm not saying it's not bad for the aeroplane to live outside, but if it's regularly flown then keeping an RV or a Luscombe (metal wing one) outside with quality covers on is the more economic way of owning an aeroplane. Having been in both a Luscombe and RV8 sydicate where they lived outside all year round, I can say this with some confidence. I would reckon that the break-even point is probably about £200/month, i.e. if hangarage costs that, or less then it's cheaper to hangar it and have it deteriorate much less quickly.
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A Sonex might also fit the bill, but not many come on to the market. You may have to build it yourself.
Also worth considering folding/detachable wings that allows you to use a trailer/shed and take home for maintenance. E.g Europa, Kitfox, RV-12 etc
Cessna57 wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I’d honestly avoid parking any aircraft outside of you can help it. The rate of decline of condition is scary compared to being inside.

Hangarage costs might seem like dead money, but you’ll be paying the same in corrosion repairs and re-painting over time.

I agree, but the airfield I’d like to park it at only lets warbirds in it’s hangars, and I can’t afford one of those ;-)

Would the airport you are talking about allow a group of you to get together to purchase and erect a temporary hangar on the airfield ?

Something such as this, they are selling on the bay for around £5-6k

By Rob L
Maxthelion wrote:In the South of England where hangarage is £400/month, depending on the type and how good the covers are, it's worth parking out side and sucking up a respray every 10 years. It costs about £100/month to park outside and the £300/month you save quickly accrues to more than the cost of a respray.

I'm not saying it's not bad for the aeroplane to live outside, but if it's regularly flown then keeping an RV or a Luscombe (metal wing one) outside with quality covers on is the more economic way of owning an aeroplane. Having been in both a Luscombe and RV8 sydicate where they lived outside all year round, I can say this with some confidence. I would reckon that the break-even point is probably about £200/month, i.e. if hangarage costs that, or less then it's cheaper to hangar it and have it deteriorate much less quickly.

I think if I lived in the "South of England where hangarage is £400/month" I'd move my aircraft rapidly north; depending upon the capital value of my aircraft. A few-hour drive is a small price to pay for a serious reduction in those sort of fixed costs!

Rob
By Rob P
Lockhaven wrote:
Would the airport you are talking about allow a group of you to get together to purchase and erect a temporary hangar on the airfield ?

I seriously doubt the IWM would be impressed by that structure, even if painted in cammo.

Rob P
Cessna57 liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think if I lived in the "South of England where hangarage is £400/month" I'd move my aircraft rapidly north; depending upon the capital value of my aircraft. A few-hour drive is a small price to pay for a serious reduction in those sort of fixed costs!

Unless you move it to Leeds where hangarage is £700/month
flybymike wrote:

Unless you move it to Leeds where hangarage is £700/month

I solve it by sharing.

But I had an aeroplane in very cheap hangarage an hour and a half from home for a while - and frankly I just found it such a pain to get there to fly it, I was using it less and less.

It's no solution - most especially if you actually like to use an aeroplane to get places.

G
Rob P wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:

I seriously doubt the IWM would be impressed by that structure, even if painted in cammo.

Rob P

Ah, probably not, didn't know what airport the OP was discussing.

In that case paint the taildragger in camo :lol:
Rob P liked this