Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ArthurG
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On paper the RV9A looks an excellent fit for what I might aim towards in the next few years. Unfortunately, I've not even examined one at close quarters, let alone flown.

If there is anyone here who would be willing to take a Vans ignoramus SportCruiser owner for a (costs covered of course) flight in one, I would be very grateful. This would help me to decide whether to pursue this avenue any further.
By Ben Twings
I can't help with the intro, though I did once ferry a 9A from Memphis to Santa Monica for a new owner. Very capable and easy aircraft to fly.

If you don't get a response here it may be worth making a request on the UK RV Yahoo email list. Put a request to join to rvsqn-owner@yahoogroups.com and then you can get a mail shot to a large UK group of RV owners/builders.
ArthurG liked this
By flybymike
On paper the RV9A looks an excellent fit for what I might aim towards in the next few years

Good luck finding one. I’ve been looking for a couple of years.
ArthurG liked this
By Trent772
I think a 12 may be more suitable........

PM me to come and have a look in Yorkshire :mrgreen:
ArthurG liked this
By GolfHotel
I flew one yesterday for a while. I was helping the pilot while he tried programming some stuff into the panel. Then I sat looking out while he did an approach on instruments.

Great little plane.

Give us a clue where you are. There are a lot around.
ArthurG liked this
By ArthurG
I should have stated that I'm based at Welshpool. I may go wild and build one, I've got the space at home, though I worry about my patience.
By flybymike
Trent772 wrote:I think a 12 may be more suitable........

PM me to come and have a look in Yorkshire :mrgreen:

I was looking for something with a bit more grunt but no harm in looking at your little selection I suppose! :wink:
By Rob P
Even with a tailwheel they cannot be certified for aerobatics which seems to negate one of the major features of the RVs. Go for a 7 :D

Rob P
By PaulSS
I'm with Rob; 7 over a 9.

The RV9 will theoretically give you a nicer ride in the cruise and that might be applicable to some long distance, straight line, flying. When are you likely to be doing that in the UK? You then have to counter that with the things you can't do in a 9 that you can in a 7 (I do like to turn upside-down).

I've flown them but don't own one and they're both lovely machines but I would definitely go for the flexibility of the 7. Personally, I couldn't tell any difference in the ride characteristics but, then again, I am a ham-fisted oaf :(
Rob P liked this
By GolfHotel
@ArthurG there are a few RV’s at Haverfordwest maybe visit to have a look. Give them a call first and you may well find out what you need.

I’ve flown a 6, a 7, an 8 and a 9. They are all great to fly. Very light and responsive. I fly a 7 now as I like sitting beside the wife, like to turn it upside down, love the 200hp and obviously it’s a taildragger. (Cos real men fly conventional)

The 9 is a bit more stable and lands a lot slower.

The main problem is getting hold of one, they don’t hang around when they come up for sale.
ArthurG liked this
By Rob P
As is often said (usually by me) the USP of the RVs is generally that they are capable of cruising, stripping and aeros. There are aircraft that are better than the Van's at each of those missions, but barely anything that can do all three as competently.

A 9A is neither aerobatic nor an ideal strip machine. There are far more suitable cruisers.

Rob P
ArthurG, GolfHotel liked this