Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With Bossman’s blessing, I’m asking for your help.

Rather than putting my feet up after ‘retirement’ from Gloucestershire Airport earlier this year, I’ve been putting one in front of the other. Lots. On Sunday, I’ll be lining up alongside Mo Farah (and about 37 000 others) in the London Marathon. Mo won’t be looking over his shoulder; he’ll be in the post-race bar about the time I get to half way but I will get round eventually!

This will be my 3rd London Marathon - I started my running career in 2015 having not done anything remotely energetic for best part of 25 years. They don’t get any easier. Training is hard work and this winter’s weather has been particularly harsh.

Why do I do it? The sense of achievement is immense. My AME tells me my cardiac recovery rate is 25% better than it was 5 years ago. Most of all, I do it for fly2help. This wonderful, small charity, which is now based at Staverton, takes that wonder of flight that we all enjoy so much and gives it to those who need it most. Their ‘Air Smiles Days’ involve a flight in a light aircraft and behind-the-scenes fun at airfields around the UK and enables the beneficiaries to literally leave their troubles on the ground. Whether that be terminal illness, disability, bereavement, social exclusion or any of life’s trials and tribulations, Air Smiles Days offer respite.

Fly2help also runs week long ‘Aim High’ programmes around the country offering groups of teenagers an insight to aviation career opportunities.

You can sponsor me at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/Darren ... onMarathon

...but if you need any further convincing, watch this short ‘Air Smiles’ video for a group of life-limited children filmed at Biggin last year...

ArchaicRider, mmcp42, kanga and 1 others liked this