Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Joe Dell wrote:I once got told about a helicopter about to land one mile ahead of me, and 7'000ft below. Since I was cruising above 8/8, I just said I wasn't visual, but thanks anyway. :)

You must've annoyed the controller somehow; sure he/she wasn't taking the p155? :twisted:
By chevvron
FlarePath wrote:As a regular user of a TS it has been a very useful service in the most part, but I am still suprised at the size of the "box" that traffic info is needed to be passed. I have regulary heard the tone in Farboro's transmission that implie's "I know you don't need to know about the circuit traffice squawking 7010 in the Blackbush ATZ but it's "in the box" Or even the circuit traffic at Wycombe..

I had a TS the other day with slightly marginal vis and there was almost too much info to assimilate with traffic 1,000'+ above/below, in the 12 O'clock R to L etc. And do wonder if there is any chance of a re-think about the size/and height/speed/distance limits to be passed to reduce what can on some days be a lot of irrelevant info.

As an ex regular provider of TS in the Wycombe area, I know that Wycombe circuit traffic off 25 climbs SA to 1500ft QFE to pass the village of Frieth for noise purposes before turning right and that puts it very close to the base of controlled airspace which you might be flying just under too., however as I've already said, I personally think the 3,000ft vertical part of the 'bubble' may be a bit too big in this day and age with the technology available.
By Joe Dell
chevvron wrote:
Joe Dell wrote:I once got told about a helicopter about to land one mile ahead of me, and 7'000ft below. Since I was cruising above 8/8, I just said I wasn't visual, but thanks anyway. :)

You must've annoyed the controller somehow; sure he/she wasn't taking the p155? :twisted:

I'd asked for a climb to stay VFR on top. That meant he had to get a clearance to cross an airway. Then the tops fell away and I cancelled the request. I might have annoyed him. Or it might have been me calling a scouser Sir that did it. :(
By TC_LTN
Mike Tango wrote:
tomshep wrote:I favour carrier pigeons. :D

Works for me, just make sure it works for everyone else as well.

Albeit pigeons will work rather slowly.

The forum would never agree on what variety of pigeon should be used and at least one fraction will suggest purchasing a rugby ball and sticking feathers to it.
Mike Tango liked this
By Talkdownman
FlarePath wrote:circuit traffice squawking 7010 in the Blackbush ATZ

Where is this 'Blackbushe 7010' procedure published, please? (There is no mention of it in the UK IAIP). Blackbushe Radio has asked me to squawk 7010, but for whom?
By chevvron
Joe Dell wrote:
I'd asked for a climb to stay VFR on top. That meant he had to get a clearance to cross an airway. Then the tops fell away and I cancelled the request. I might have annoyed him. Or it might have been me calling a scouser Sir that did it. :(

Obviously you must have spelt it witha 'C' instead of 's'. :whistle:
By CloudHound
Within the Mode S extended squitter is all sorts of info that could enhance the TS provider's assistance.

e.g. I'm doing 75 kts heading 280deg at 1500' a/c type S10

Would providing that level of granualisation help?
By Gertie
TopCat wrote:What are the requirements of a LARS provider in terms of the proximity of aircraft they'll tell you about?

Them: "Aircraft at such-and-such ..."

Me: "Got it, opposite direction just below me"

Them: "No, that's a different one that I didn't tell you about"
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Talkdownman wrote:

Where is this 'Blackbushe 7010' procedure published, please? (There is no mention of it in the UK IAIP). Blackbushe Radio has asked me to squawk 7010, but for whom?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61548
By GolfHotel
tomshep wrote:I favour carrier pigeons. :D

I hope you have ADSB out on your pigeons.
By TC_LTN
Talkdownman wrote:

ENR 1.6 describes the use of 7010 and is for use of aircraft operating in an aerodrome traffic pattern, when instructed to do so by an ATS Unit or local operating instructions. 7010 is only to be selected with ATC direction or in accordance with local aerodrome procedures.
By chevvron
TC_LTN wrote:ENR 1.6 describes the use of 7010 and is for use of aircraft operating in an aerodrome traffic pattern, when instructed to do so by an ATS Unit or local operating instructions. 7010 is only to be selected with ATC direction or in accordance with local aerodrome procedures.

Aircraft taking off from Fairoaks are requested to squawk 7010 if remaining in the circuit.
VFR aircraft inbound are instructed to squawk 7010 by Farnborough Radar; IFR traffic inbound may be instructed similarly but in some cases when Farnborough wish to retain the ident they are left on their IFR squawk.