Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:Some of the SkyDemon Light confusion here may be because whilst it is available for iPads etc from the Apple App Store, it isn't available for Android from the Play Store.

This has "always" been the case, and I suspect reflects its origins and Tim's priorities at the time.

I didnt know that SkyDemon light was available on Fruits...

FTAOD: My comments on this thread are meant to be constructive, pointing out issues with the video as if I were indeed new to flying to the UK from France and had seen it having never heard of listening squawks before... :wink:

Regards, SD..
Dave W liked this
RayP wrote:Joff - which browser are you using to access SkyDemonLight? It requires MS SilverLight which isn't available on Firefox, Chrome or Edge. It isn't supported on iOS or Android. In fact the only browser I can find that supports it is the deprecated MS Internet Explorer.

Silverlight does work with Firefox ESR version.
Ian Melville wrote:What about EasyVFR? That is free, shows notams, and has airspace. What's more works on IOS and Android. Wasn't Easy VFR supported/sponsered by NATS?

That's a very curious and strange omission indeed. Strange that such a useful, popular and free tool, for avoiding infringements, didn't even get a token mention.

For the avoidance of doubt, ,NATS awarded EasyVFR Basic their "Airspace Awareness Compliance Mark". No sponsorship was involved. PocketFMS paid for the full cost of developing it, and the ongoing costs of maintaining it.
flybymike liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
cockney steve wrote:Sorry, the appalling colour- choices, show that the site is run by a load of clueless amateurs. In a graphical presentation, it's an absolute fundamental basic that even a primary-school child with a sheet of paper and a choice of paints / crayons understands.

That an organisation , holding itself out to be an advisor, can actually have such poor oversight of their own output, destroys any credibility.

They've shot themselves in the foot, on that one.....back to school and learn lessons! "public image" "credibility" "apparently competent staff" "management competence and oversight".

Erm, CS, slight overreaction?

Ian
GonzoEGLL, AlanM liked this
The video provides an overview. If it were longer to provide all the detail of the subjects mentioned then people would just click on the next funny cats video. I would expect anyone with the most vague interest in their hobby to use a bit of initiative and not expect to have everything handed to them on a plate. It took me literally 5 seconds to type "listening squawks" into Google and then click on a link which provided more information from the CAA, an up-to-date link to the map and all the frequencies and squawks necessary. Perhaps it might be useful to have that link mentioned in the video but, come on, it is not rocket science to look it up and bypass the spoon-feeding.

So, we've deduced that free planning software is available and the listening squawks information is all out there and easy to research. What else do people want; someone to fly the aircraft and wipe their **** for them?
dublinpilot wrote:
Ian Melville wrote:What about EasyVFR? That is free, shows notams, and has airspace. What's more works on IOS and Android. Wasn't Easy VFR supported/sponsered by NATS?

That's a very curious and strange omission indeed. Strange that such a useful, popular and free tool, for avoiding infringements, didn't even get a token mention.

For the avoidance of doubt, ,NATS awarded EasyVFR Basic their "Airspace Awareness Compliance Mark". No sponsorship was involved. PocketFMS paid for the full cost of developing it, and the ongoing costs of maintaining it.

Hence my question mark.
In fact I was confusing it with Airbox Aware which I don't think is free in it's current form?
Designed in 2012 by Airbox in association with NATS (National Air Traffic Services), the Aware was an instant hit with pilots due to its' low cost and ease of use. The device was credited with helping to reduce airspace infringements in the UK following a prolongued period of year-on-year increases...
G-BLEW wrote:
cockney steve wrote:Sorry, the appalling colour- choices, show that the site is run by a load of clueless amateurs. In a graphical presentation, it's an absolute fundamental basic that even a primary-school child with a sheet of paper and a choice of paints / crayons understands.

That an organisation , holding itself out to be an advisor, can actually have such poor oversight of their own output, destroys any credibility.

They've shot themselves in the foot, on that one.....back to school and learn lessons! "public image" "credibility" "apparently competent staff" "management competence and oversight".

Ian

Probably unfair and definitely rude to call people clueless, CS.
mick w liked this
By Dave W
pplmeir wrote:That link says video unavailable for me (having just read the thread now)

You must have missed Joff's post on page 3:

Joff wrote:very happy with constructive / useful criticism - that's why the link doesn't work - we've just changed one small thing that was suggested and so the old link doesn't work anymore new link will be on EASA site when they change it - in the meantime its here
By cockney steve
@G-BLEW said

If it were you, a "commercial - communicator" , who charges a reasonable price to advertisers and readers alike and reacts immediately to criticisms of illegible information, ....yes, i'd totally agree and offer a fulsome apology and retraction...............but we're not, are we?

We're talking about a body that's largely unaccountable for the efficiency or cost -effectiveness of it's "mission", where the "customer" is faced with , as another poster described, "patronising" , poorly -timed and presented SAFETY -message material. As an outsider, I not only had difficulty reading the text, but the duration of some portions required advanced speed-reading skills or razor-sharp reactions to press the "pause" facility.

Surely, , to avoid further embarrassment, it would have been far better to have re-edited it between the initial presentation, the scathing criticism,and then the reposting. It really seems that the thing was not "beta- tested" (aka "test- marketed" ) before release to public consumption.

Perhaps I might have said "naive" " out of touch" or "out of their depth" instead?

Whatever, it comes across as a very poor, amateur effort, IMHO, eclipsing the recent (forgettable)" Sunny Swift" offering from EASA,, which was duly slated by the target audience.

If they're going to claim to be a professional and Authoritative organisation, at least they should present themselves as such.- they've let themselves down. perhaps us oldies have higher standards than the "snowflake generation"

Blunt? yes, Harsh? yes!....I could have sugar-coated it, but why?

P.S. It's still only a forum on the internet! :wink: