Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:That last point is important. Duxford don't have customs any more than any other small field. You fill out the GAR and HMRC may, or may not, turn up at your destination.
Rob P

This may be a dumb question, but for GA, are there ANY airfields you can just pitch up to from abroad without a GAR?

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
No; you always need a GAR - the only thing that changes is the Notice period.

If an airfield has Customs & Immigration there, you can potentially turn up and fill out the GAR on arrival although the GAR Instructions do say 4 hours notice when arriving from the EU (less Republic of Ireland) regardless of the airport of arrival.

(And if travelling to/from the Channel Islands, you can't just land - or depart from - anywhere.)
By skydriller
Dave W wrote:If an airfield has Customs & Immigration there, you can potentially turn up and fill out the GAR on arrival although the GAR Instructions do say 4 hours notice when arriving from the EU (less Republic of Ireland) regardless of the airport of arrival.

Sorry if Im being thick Dave, but this seems a bit of a contradiction.

Now dont get me wrong, Im unlikely to be arriving at Heathrow or Luton, but I just wondered if you could pitch up to, say, Southampton in the same way you can pitch up to Bordeaux, because there are border force chaps permanently there?

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
You'd think you could, but the GAR Instructions don't allow for that scenario other than in "Exceptional Circumstances".

GAR Instructions page 3 wrote:When, where and how do I submit a GAR?
You are requested to submit GARs in advance to the locations and within the timescales set out in the tables [The Annexes to the Instructions]. If you cannot meet the timescales due to exceptional circumstances e.g. an emergency or bad weather you should do the following:-
 Border Force reportable flights: You are requested to submit the GAR as soon possible (which might be on arrival) and use a designated customs & excise airport.

In Annex B (GAR reporting – arrivals in the UK) it states:

GAR Instructions Annex B wrote:DEPARTING: EU (except Republic of Ireland)

REPORTING OUTCOME: Submit a GAR to Border Force - You are requested to submit a GAR at least 4 hours prior to arrival to Border Force via an approved website or the NCU
By Paul_Sengupta
Um, no, the GAR is for Border Force (combination of Customs and Immigration) though is also used for Special Branch where that is required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/border-force

What we do

Border Force is a law enforcement command within the Home Office. We secure the UK border by carrying out immigration and customs controls for people and goods entering the UK.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
The GAR is for both Border Force and the Police. Who gets it depends on your destination/departure point.

Complex (i.e. comprehensive) version:

Simplified version (in which some recipients who don't legally need it get it anyway):
Paul_Sengupta, Edward liked this
By Highland Park
In answer to one of your questions posed earlier, I would imagine the easiest way to get to Cambridge from Duxford would be by train from Whittlesford, which is a short taxi ride away, but no idea how frequent the trains are. Otherwise, I would think it would be a taxi - those on here from Duxford will be able to advise better than I can.

If you are thinking of Shuttleworth (who wouldn't?!), just be aware that they have their annual Fly Navy Air Display planned for 3 June...

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/flynavy/
Rob P, Edward liked this