Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
User avatar
By flybymike
#1642458
Irv Lee wrote:Also, might be false memory, but did the original exemption allowing this (welcome) use of the self declare medical only allow it for licences issued prior to 8/4/2018? Doesn't matter now, just trying to clean my clogged up neuron paths.

In effect yes it only applied to licences issued before April because it excluded new licence applications, and any such new applications would still currently be supported by a current medical certificate anyway.
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1642482
flybymike wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:Also, might be false memory, but did the original exemption allowing this (welcome) use of the self declare medical only allow it for licences issued prior to 8/4/2018? Doesn't matter now, just trying to clean my clogged up neuron paths.

In effect yes it only applied to licences issued before April because it excluded new licence applications, and any such new applications would still currently be supported by a current medical certificate anyway.

I have found a copy of the original exemption (1254) and sure enough there was a clause (4.i in the original) which specifically restricted the exemption to Easa licenxes issued by the CAA before 8/4/2018, no longer a restriction in the current exemption. :thumleft:
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1642497
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Which bit don't you understand?

Just as it arrived, I also got an email from a CFI saying (paraphrased) no way will most hobby pilots who would benefit even understand the explanatory notes.
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1642499
@Bathman I think it means "wot I rote" in my one page catch up. http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf that I send to any pilot who books me to fly with, so they can question me further when we meet and I can show them where to look, etc.
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1642503
Bathman wrote:OK I've got it. Thank you

I think the title of the 'hosting page' and exemption will be interpreted as the exact opposite of what is actually meant when read by the pilot on the Clapham Wright Flyer and will read no further:
ORS4 No.1283: Requirement for Holders of Part-FCL Private Pilot Licences and Light Aircraft Pilots Licences to hold a National Pilot Licence or an EASA Part-MED Medical Certificate when Operating EASA Aircraft in the UK

To the hobby pilot the title says 'you cannot use anything but an EASA medical certificate when flying EASA aircraft' - but the probably unread content is the opposite, which is:- GREAT NEWS, you can use FREE self declare medicals with EASA PPLs and LAPLs subject to non onerous conditions that will suit lots of pilot in both non EASA Aircraft and EASA aircraft (the latter til at least 7/4/2020)
PaulB, flybymike liked this
User avatar
By Charley Farley
#1663480
Just in case anyone else is looking for this exemption (all the links posted in this thread are now out of date, due to the CAA re-arranging their web site) and to save time, here it is:
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1283..pdf

Unfortunately, in extending this exemption, the CAA didn't see fit to also update their website regarding medical requirements - see here:
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/ ... te-pilots/

And the actual self declaration page still doesn't include an option for an EASA PPL to fly EASA aircraft, see here:
https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms ... rmCode=PMD

However, if you read my post on page 26 of this thread, you will see that the CAA did eventually confirm to me that you can use any of the options (even though it appears that you are declaring that you hold a license that you don't hold!).
User avatar
By bilko2
#1663497
However, if you read my post on page 26 of this thread, you will see that the CAA did eventually confirm to me that you can use any of the options (even though it appears that you are declaring that you hold a license that you don't hold!).


It seems to me that if the rules are so complicated, difficult to understand and badly explained ..... why do they expect us to obey them?

NB I should say that I do try to obey them as well as I can .... but ... bloody hell!
By Billstone
#1680224
Sorry, a bit lost here. I have a EU FCL Part FCL PPL(A) issued August last year. I fly EASE SEP aircraft. What option do I click on in the CAA self declaration page?
I'm guessing it the EU Part FCL PPL to fly non EASA aircraft.....but in fact an exemption lets me fly them anyway? Sort of?
PaulB liked this
User avatar
By PaulB
#1680225
Billstone wrote:Sorry, a bit lost here. I have a EU FCL Part FCL PPL(A) issued August last year. I fly EASE SEP aircraft. What option do I click on in the CAA self declaration page?
I'm guessing it the EU Part FCL PPL to fly non EASA aircraft.....but in fact an exemption lets me fly them anyway? Sort of?


That's what I did..... I think it's pretty clear what the intent is when coupled with the ORS4 (or whatever it is)

... and I kept copies!
Billstone liked this
By Billstone
#1680230
PaulB wrote:
Billstone wrote:Sorry, a bit lost here. I have a EU FCL Part FCL PPL(A) issued August last year. I fly EASE SEP aircraft. What option do I click on in the CAA self declaration page?
I'm guessing it the EU Part FCL PPL to fly non EASA aircraft.....but in fact an exemption lets me fly them anyway? Sort of?


That's what I did..... I think it's pretty clear what the intent is when coupled with the ORS4 (or whatever it is)

... and I kept copies!

Thanks PAul B...seems to have worked for me.
Best wishe

Bill
  • 1
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27