Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
flyingeeza wrote:This is excellent news, and proves beyond any doubt that our CAA folks do indeed try their best to support GA at every turn! :cheers:

This is going to stun the usual clan of anti-CAA whiners. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You think? I’d take that wager!

Ian
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done CAA - But TOO LATE for me as I already paid my cash out for a medical and a licence change from UK PPL(A) to LAPL.

That'l teach me not to wait right till the end date! :evil:

I guess if we can get another exemption to carry us to post BR*X*T then it will all have been worthwhile.

/contentious off
By neaton
So (if i have understood this correctly) a PPL holder can fly (for example) a 152 with a medical declaration after April the 8th.

But an NPPL holder can't.

I bet there's a really good reason for that. I just bet there is.
By Flyin'Dutch'
neaton wrote:So (if i have understood this correctly) a PPL holder can fly (for example) a 152 with a medical declaration after April the 8th.

But an NPPL holder can't.

I bet there's a really good reason for that. I just bet there is.

What the CAA have organised that an EASA Licence can be validated for use in the UK with a self declaration.

What they haven't (and maybe cannot) is that they validate a national licence for use in EASA aircraft.
johnm liked this
By The Other Ian
Phew! That’s just saved me a few quid. My Class 2 medical is coming up for renewal, but it looks like I can just self declare for my EASA PPL and not have to fork out for a medical and an ecg (for another year, at least).

Suits me as I don’t fly outside the UK or at night or in IMC these days. :thumleft:
By trapdoor
Can this be real? :shock:

So a, I correct in believing that with my LAPL(A) I can legally fly my Pup on a self-declared medical?

I have an appointment with my AME (or rather yet another new AME) in April for renewal of my LAPL (ex-class 2) medical.

If so, and because I’ve been studiously ignoring anything to do with self-declaration because it has previously annoyed the heck out of me, where do I find the necessary stuff to do it.
By venteux
Another odd rule:
This Exemption applies only in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It does NOT apply in the Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man.
The reason being?
I assume then that pilots who self declare will only be able to fly in the UK, and not to Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man?
By trevorjharris
I fly on a non-expiring UK PPL with a SSEA rating with a self declared medical. Does this apply to me. If I have to convert to a LAPL can I use self declaration of do you have to have a full LAPL medical to convert?
By GrahamB
venteux wrote:Another odd rule:
This Exemption applies only in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It does NOT apply in the Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man.
The reason being?

They have their own regulatory authorities who would have to be in agreement. Perhaps it may happen, but it is not in the gift of the UK CAA to decide what is allowed in other territorial jurisdictions.
AlanC liked this
By trapdoor
venteux wrote:Another odd rule:
The reason being?
I assume then that pilots who self declare will only be able to fly in the UK, and not to Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man?

Hmm, that’s a bit of a bummer. I wonder whether this can be exempted in parallel by States of Guernsey/Jersey?

Wasn’t there something similar with the NPPL a few years ago?
By venteux
Given that the majority of pilots on the Isle of Man hold either an EASA PPL or an EASA LAPL, this just does not make any sense at all.
Another mess up by the CAA?
By Smaragd
trevorjharris wrote:I fly on a non-expiring UK PPL with a SSEA rating with a self declared medical. Does this apply to me.

See Para 2 of the Exemption. This is about flying EASA aircraft, which you can't do after April 8 on a UK PPL.

trevorjharris wrote:If I have to convert to a LAPL can I use self declaration of do you have to have a full LAPL medical to convert?

See Para 4.i of the exemption.

In the joy of reading the exemption, how many will overlook para 4. iii d last bullet?