Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By davey
Also just seen this, the way I read it is that with an Easa Pt Fcl licence I can now also fly something like a pa28, not just annex II , just with my medical declaration and not need a medical certificate....

UK only of course, and valid from April 8th 2018 until April 8th 2019 in the first instance.
By flyingeeza
This is excellent news, and proves beyond any doubt that our CAA folks do indeed try their best to support GA at every turn! :cheers:

This is going to stun the usual clan of anti-CAA whiners. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Irv Lee liked this
By kestrel539
Very good news indeed. Maybe something to do with the growing shortage of AME's?
Wonder if it will be extended to NPPL holders who's applications for LAPL are in the queue, and not going to make the 8th April date.
By nickwilcock
Unfortunately it is of no help to NPPL(SSEA) holders who have been unable to obtain a LAPL Medical Certificate.

It only applies to Part-FCL licences issued before 8th April and does not include conversions from UK legacy licences issued before that date.

So there is still no solution for NPPL holders wishing to fly EASA aircraft after 8th April unless they can hold LAPL Medical Certificates.

Nevertheless, 30 sec ago Head of GA Unit kindly agreed to try and see if there's wriggle room to include the national conversions I've indicated within the scope of ORS4 No. 1254.
By pembroke
Nick, when you say this will not apply to UK legacy licences, is this re. Para.5) 111 "Holders of ICAO conversions" ? Surely the ref. is for non EASA state conversions to EASA Part FCL licences?
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Currently on an NPPL with self declaration but could I resurrect my old UK "lifetime" PPL to fly EASA stuff with the applicable constraints?
By DavidC
Definitely a positive move, even if at the 11th hour.

If I've understood this correctly, the situation after 8 April will be that:

Someone with a EASA PPL and LAPL medical can't fly EASA aircraft at all. They'd first have to get their PPL reissued/downgraded by the CAA to a LAPL.

Someone with an EASA PPL and self-declared medical can fly EASA aircraft (effectively LAPL privileges in UK only).

I recall that switching between self-declaration medical declaration and "proper" medical certificates from an AME involves quite a bit of jiggery-pokery on the CAA computer which can only manage to hold one or other at any time. I wonder how much hassle it is to make the switch each way.
By jollyrog
Will the CAA/EASA accept a medical declaration in lieu of a Class 2 medical, for revalidation of a class rating?

Or, will there be a separation between allowing someone to fly aeroplanes in UK airspace on a med-dec, as opposed to updating an EASA licence record upon receipt of an SRG1119E?
By dall1234
I'm sure this is brilliant news, but as I'm about to apply to convert/upgrade my NPPL to LAPL so I need an LAPL medical. Then if the exemption continues for more than the 12 months, I don't need to get the medical renewed.... strange situation, but at least it does show that a little flexibility is coming.