Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Engineers design Fords, artists design Fiats, accountants design Volkswagens and sadists Citroens.

Engineer is a title in Europe and a term of abuse in Britain. Despite a career encompassing both laser design and computer design to component level, I have never earned the national average wage!
Nick liked this
My moan was linguistic pedantry, not about money. I always have and continue to earn in the UK decent money as an engineer, certainly now
above the 90 percentile (and without moving into serious management). I’ll keep saying this, the UK has the second biggest aerospace industry on the planet and a significant automotive one. I am constantly emailed about job opportunities, there is no shortage of work. My advice to engineers: keep moving; keep learning; make an effort. You’ll have a lot of fun and earn a decent living.

Right, that’s positivity done. Back to moaning :-)
Bob Upanddown wrote:Sounds like a nice chap. I tried to listen as if I didn't know what GA was.

If I listened to that programme as a member of the General Public, I would still not have any idea what GA was.

If we need to get a message across, we need to appreaciate that 99% of the population don't know what GA is.....

I rather agree. He had the chance/?duty to put several important (for GA) messages across to the general public, eg:

a. the pilot who flies you on holiday, or flies the ambulance or rescue helicopter who comes to your help, started at a small airfield; all these are under threat
b. there are lots of jobs in UK aviation, including many at these small airfields, and not just for pilots
c. quite soon, there will be many more, so this is a good time for young people to get informed and interested; for instance at the YES Conference (on the day after the broadcast, and local to its station)
d. YES is the Youth and Education Support section of the Light Aircraft Association (I did not hear him expand the acronym when the presenter failed to), which has groups and activities all over the UK

I reckon he failed on all these counts for the ears of the ordinary listener, especially perhaps the parent of a schoolchild. Pity.