Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Katamarino
I currently have a 430W in the airplane and am planning to install a newer GPS, most likely a 750. I had originally been planning to remove the 430W and install a GNC255A as NAV/COM2 - but, my A&P suggested keeping the 430W as #2. I plan to fly worldwide with this setup and redundancy when away from maintenance support could be useful. The cost difference, once install cost of the 255A is considered, is not much.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how GTN and GNS series navigators play together? I understand that active flight plans will cross fill but not sure what else works. Would I be able to get weather/traffic data to both of them from the GTX345, for example?
The rest of the setup will be an STEC-30 (already installed), GMA340 (already installed) GTX345, and dual G5s, most likely. Also a JPI-730 that currently feeds fuel info to the 430W.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Afraid I have no idea on the viability of the GTN750 and GNS430 playing with each other - you will however need two Jepp subscriptions rather than one, and of course they are different data cards…it is not an inconsiderable ongoing expense.

If you are feeling flush, maybe get the GFC500 instead of the S-TEC30?

Ian
Katamarino liked this
Thanks for the reply; it looks like the extra data is not too expensive as Garmin are now doing more reasonably priced subscriptions, and apparently even Jepp offers a deal on the 430W if you have a subscription for a 750 or 650.

I think the only thing I'd gain from the GFC500 would be the ability to have the autopilot fly the vertical portion of approaches. Not sure if that's worth the rather huge cash outlay but it's definitely something to think on!
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GTN750 and GNS430W will cross-fill, but that is about the extent of any cooperation between them. The separate data cards and data subscriptions thing is true, and a complete rip-off.
By PeteSpencer
2Donkeys wrote:GTN750 and GNS430W will cross-fill, but that is about the extent of any cooperation between them. The separate data cards and data subscriptions thing is true, and a complete rip-off.

Ain't that the truth.
Not only does the 430W take a different navdata card to the legacy 430, even within the 430W the terrain card and (expensive) separate reader are completely different to the navdata card and Skybound reader.

And the Terrain update is a rip off.

No wonder that we, on the basis that mountains don't move much (awaits incoming :roll: ), have not updated our 430w terrain since we bought it.

Peter
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I think the only thing I'd gain from the GFC500 would be the ability to have the autopilot fly the vertical portion of approaches.

You would also get a blue LVL button and Garmin's ESP, and undoubtedly a much smoother autopilot that'll fly better approaches*.

Ian
*I haven't flown one yet, but I do have one on order.
Katamarino liked this
By Iceman
That would make sense as the subscription is on an aircraft basis and the details of a particular GPS unit are not given to Jeppessen. Hence, as the data is loaded into the IFD using a USB stick, there is nothing stopping you sticking the USB into two IFDs, one after the other.

Katamarino, sell the Garmin and go the IFD540/440 route :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
Katamarino liked this
Ice

Jepp asked me what GPS units were on the aircraft before giving a price.
Jepp then told that the subscription would cover two IFDs on the aircraft for no extra charge even though we only had one.
i.e. legal to share one subscription across two IFDs units in the same aircraft, but not three units in the same aircraft. There are some spam cans that do have 3 radios onboard (unlikely to be IFD units due to cost)! The subscription is by tail number/reg so obviously invalid for different aircraft.

My point is the difference between what is technically possible and what is in the subscription/licencing terms and conditions can be quite different. Some dishonest GNS users know the difference and I read that Garmin designed the GTN range to prevent that misuse. (Cant find the link to that but it is/was online somewhere).
Katamarino

Avidyne do offers to trade in a GNS unit for a slide in replacement IFD.

IFD440 is a slide in replacement for a GNS430. (On the Avidyne website somewhere there is something about it being done in around 30 mins including paperwork).

Agree the IFD440 screen is not as big as a GTN750 screen, but the IFD440 will wifi to an Ipad IFD100 App so you have an IFD on the Ipad (or Ipad Mini) sized screen, which is going to be bigger than a GTN750 at a fraction of the cost.

Ideally you need to try a GTN unit and an IFD unit before purchase as the PC/tablet simulators don't truly represent the use/integration of touch screens, buttons, three-way buttons, or dials.
Katamarino liked this
Any idea if Avidyne will make their app available for Android or does one need to lock into the overpriced Apple world?

I'm planning an install of dual G5s; any idea if they'll play with the 540/440?

One of the things that put me off Avidyne was that their ADSB transponder offering seems to fall behind Garmin. Not sure if that's planned to improve.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Katamarino wrote:Any idea if Avidyne will make their app available for Android or does one need to lock into the overpriced Apple world?

One of the things that put me off Avidyne was that their ADSB transponder offering seems to fall behind Garmin. Not sure if that's planned to improve.

Kat, I see that living in the Netherlands is having a positive effect on your attitude towards dough.

:D

Buying a 182, installing some new avionics, including dual G5s and an autopilot, but complaining about the price difference between an android phone and an apple one!

:thumright: :thumleft:
Iceman, Katamarino liked this
By T67M
Katamarino wrote:Any idea if Avidyne will make their app available for Android or does one need to lock into the overpriced Apple world?

I believe this is on the roadmap, but no delivery date yet.

This does work, but not legally in a certificated aircraft with IFD software 10.2.1. I believe this is due to be fixed in the next release of the STC, and may be available at some point in 2018.

The Avidyne transponder is actually the same gubbins as the Trig and Bendix transponders, with a very nice user interface. In what way do you think it is inferior to the GTX330ES?