Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By pjl953
I started a tiny bit later than you are thinking about, started lessons just before my 16th birthday, and that ended up pretty perfectly as my skills test was just after my 17th. That was almost exactly a year ago, and another thing I would say to bear in mind which I hadn't really considered when I started, is you'll probably be able to fly before you can drive, which means you will always have to rely on other people to be able to go flying. Now for me that wasn't a problem, because my parents were always happy to drive me there, it's just worth bearing in mind if they are busy that you may not be able to fly as often as you would like because you can't get there (I have experienced this a few times as well).

However, that absolutely shouldn't stop you, having been in your position I would say just get involved around the airfield wherever you can, and fly whenever you can and whenever you can afford to, and if you can get into gliding or cadets then even better!

Kind regards and good luck!
Peter
By davef77
I want to add to other people's recommendations for gliding.

Gliding will teach you things that you don't necessarily get from other routes into aviation. You get better stick-and-rudder skills from the off, better energy management and so on. I am not saying that it is the ONLY route into flying, of course it is not, but it is also not a second-best starting point.

You can solo earlier, as others have said. There is also a strong social element in gliding that I think will help you learn and gain confidence. Gliding operates a grading scheme that provides a continuous route to progression in your flying.

Getting a PPL is a wonderful thing, but many people feel a bit lost after they have qualified. Gliding helps you past that kind of hurdle.

I wish you well and hope that maybe one day I may see you at a British Aerobatics event - Also very good for "stick-and-rudder" skills 8)

(Kieran Satchell won the Club event year before last at the age of 16, before he had qualified for his PPL https://www.aerobatics.org.uk/contest/result/116)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By kanga
ChampChump wrote:Hi Ben

Have a look at this thread, too, as it covers similar ground:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106877&p=1589702#p1589702

From that thread, I'd particularly recommend joining LAA (very cheap at 'student' rates :) ). National membership will get you monthly magazine, and eligibility in time to apply for their Flying Scholarship schemes, and various discounts including at the annual Rally. Local Strut membership (likely to be even cheaper :D ) will get you a monthly meeting with informal talks and contact with a bunch of similar but probably much older aviation nuts. Some of these may well welcome an extra pair of enthusiastic even if unskilled hands on build or maintenance jobs, and at events eg at local fly-ins; rewards may come in the form of some free flying (most GA pilots welcome passengers into otherwise empty seats, especially lighter ones). If your pilot happens to be an Instructor you may be able to log some of the flying; and you may get a free lift to the Rally.

Oh, and join Air Cadets (of course). Yes, there is much less flying available than there used to be, but attainments (NCO rank, instructor responsibilities, DofE expeditions and Awards) all look good on a CV or Personal Statement. This is obviously true if applying to Armed Forces or to the aviation industry, but may well also make an important difference with other employers. That difference may mean being invited for interview and not.

Of course, also keep up with your formal education, especially in STEM subjects and, I'd recommend, at least one foreign language to GCSE or preferably higher.

Good luck. Your best move was having the intelligence and courage to ask here. :thumright:
Flyin'Dutch', davef77 liked this
By ROG
Get into flying as soon as you can.
We have two 14 year olds learning at my club--a lad and a girl.
Obviously you need cash for lessons--it "aint cheap", but they both get involved with the club and the lad works there at weekends to help pay for his lessons.
My friends grandson started to fly with me when he was 16--sitting in the right hand seat--He went to some 40 airfields with me. At 18 he went to university and got a maths degree. After uni he got his PPL- then started the 2 year CPL course. I heard today that he has just passed his CPL flying test. I
know Andrewsfield--one of my favourite fields--and as said I'm sure Carol and the other instructors would be more than happy to help if you are REALLY SERIOUS about getting a CPL. Volunteer to help at the club--you"ll be surprised how much you"ll pick up. and I'm sure you"ll be offered a flight when there are spare seats.