Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By defcribed
A thought experiment.

What happens if you just give yourself a random callsign and start using it?

I'm aware that if you want a different callsign you're supposed to apply to the CAA for it. But if I were to call up Farnborough one morning and use say, my dog's callsign (he's Blackhound One) then surely they'd probably just go with it, so long as it wasn't rude or ridiculous? No controller can possibly be aware of every callsign the CAA has approved?

Don't ask why my dog has a callsign. He just does.
By defcribed
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:There is probably something in the regs that states that to use a made up call-sign is not allowed.

Sure, I know it's Prob99 not allowed.

I'm asking what would actually happen? Would the controller tell me not to be silly and pass my actual callsign, or would they just run with it?
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You would need to enter it into your transponder as well (assuming you have mode S) but it would be an interesting experiment. Go try it and report back.

Nick
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
defcribed wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:There is probably something in the regs that states that to use a made up call-sign is not allowed.

Sure, I know it's Prob99 not allowed.

I'm asking what would actually happen? Would the controller tell me not to be silly and pass my actual callsign, or would they just run with it?

Well, there's an obvious and simple answer to your question........ :roll:

Peter
By 2Donkeys
defcribed wrote:What happens if you just give yourself a random callsign and start using it?

Probably nothing, unless you do it IFR in controlled airspace, when you may need to get even more creative and make up a three-letter designator to go with your bogus callsign,
By 2Donkeys
I'm sure that a controller will answer, but this question has the same answer as most things in aviation. What happens if you run a dodgy public transport operation? What happens if you take off over MTOW? What happens if you fly in the airways without an Instrument Rating?

The answer is, pretty my nothing, until something goes wrong and your flight falls under scrutiny. Then bad stuff happens.
James Chan, G-BLEW, Hawkwind and 1 others liked this
By defcribed
2D, I think you're taking it a bit more seriously than I intended it. It's not something I'm planning to do. I'm not intending to operate outside the rules for the hell of it, any more than I'd do any of the other things you describe.

I'm simply interested in what would happen there in that moment. Would a controller go with it, or tell me to get real? How bizarre would a callsign have to be for them to twig they were having their leg pulled?
By 2Donkeys
The warbird community seem to have a particular affection for calling themselves by callsign - many unregistered (so far as I can see). Nothing bad ever seems to happen to them and ATC seem to respond without query.

Whether the same effect would be achieved in a PA28, I don't know.
By Flying_john
On initial contact, if you are not a known callsign, you may be asked for your reg by the controller/fiso/etc and then they will use it.

So Exam1 out of N.Weald may be well known to the A/G at N.Weald, but F'boro may not know and may ask for reg on initial contact.
By matthew_w100
I remember decades ago the bloke on the radio at Headcorn getting well upset with someone passing by who insisted on using his (professional flight school) callsign and refused to divulge his reg. I was too young to comment, but they had a right p 1$$ing up the wall contest.