Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Korenwolf
Waveflyer wrote:1840 local just North of Bristol, heard an unusual aircraft noise a caught a glimpse of what may have been a Lancaster. It was flying towards the Severn Bridges.
Bit rare around here these days.
Was I right, it must be BBMF doing the rounds?

Yep, it's still up, just returning home having taken in Lincoln, Bristol, Brize Norton and the Eye Brook reservoir near Corby.
Waveflyer liked this
By Trent772
Just back from the showing in Harrogate. As you may imagine, we have sofa's, food and drink served to your seat, all very couth in the Everyman :mrgreen:

Excellent production, Dan Snow did a nice intro, bit of Glen Miller band music, a demonstration of how to bounce things off water, short break and then the fillum.

Bit p1ssed off with pc sympo whimpering about inappropriate language and references. Yep - Guy's dog was called N1gger and unfortunately, he was run over.....

Great showing, full house of very mixed ages and a bit of applause at the end.
By joe-fbs
ChampChimp you were lucky. I was surrounded by middle aged and older people chatting, laughing and crashing around.

Great to see the picture this way though. A very different experience especially with bomb aimer views which become quite spectacular and several times quite nerve jangling.

Oh and with this print the Lincolns and Canberras in some background shots become quite clear but I am such a spotter.
By malcolmfrost
I have to say, even as a 62 year old, I was quite uncomfortable with the N word but still think it was right to leave it in. The new print is stunning, the sound system in the Royal Albert hall gave the Merlins full throat. The low flying sequences, not faked, were amazing. Great performances by Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave.
Great night out.
By peter272
Saw it in our local cinema

Wasn't sure why the Glenn Miller band was there and given so much time. Loved the Wallis daughters and their no nonsense approach.

There was a round of applause when Dan Snow said the dog's name would be kept in.

As said earlier, good to see it on a large screen but we thought the new print was flawed with a slight delay between the pictures and sound. Also in some of the flying sequences the image juddered, but it could just have been the cinema equipment.

I'll be looking forward to the DVD coming soon.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Day out in London with my dad, we started at the RAeS for a really fascinating Dam Busters history session where I learned a lot. No strong suggestion (as proposed by a few revisionist historians) that the raid didn't really matter historically - but a great deal of "but it's all a lot more complicated than you think".

I'd managed to keep the secret from Dad until yesterday that the "cinema" we were then going to go and see the movie at afterwards was the Albert Hall. He was extremely chuffed, and it was a brilliant showing. My take was that they didn't do an awful lot to the visuals, but the sound was superb and better than I'd ever heard before - most especially the engine noise of the Lancs.

And rather wonderfully met at the RAeS a schoolfriend I'd not seen for 25 years, and Paul and Iceman in the bar at the Albert Hall.

One of my best days out ever.

G
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It was interesting to see the lady who had played Wallis' young daughter in the film and even more interesting to see Wallis' actual daughter who had a cameo role in the film, which I had never appreciated before. Great night at the Albert Hall.

Iceman 8)
Paul_Sengupta liked this