Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Having set up to do a tasteful video of flying Ladybower a couple of years ago, all was set.

Over the top, dove down to around 170kts and a couple hundred feet until within legal distance yada yada. Thought :shock: that was difficult, no time to line up, those boys must have been very good indeed - let's have another go.....

Same :cry:

Flew forward and realised I had just done the top dam, not the proper dam :oops:

Made enough noise to make people look so left embarrassed - will try later :thumleft:
By Dominie
Cessna57 wrote:I was told by someone who served there that the official dogs grave is not where it actually is.
He said he would show me where it really is when we flew into PP at Scampton.
PP was moved from Scampton and it became one of those things I never followed up.

I’d think that is folklore, but it was told to me by someone who served there during and after the war when 617 moved out.

Anyone else heard this ?

PS. Just booked my 2 tickets at the local cinema.

I was there in 1980-82, and I was told that the grave in front of the hangar offices is a fake. IIRC, Gibson's book says that the black dog was buried near the guardroom, in which case it's not marked.

I loved the story of 27 Sqn spraying some fertiliser on the grass in front of 617's offices, so it kept on growing showing "27" in 15 foot high digits. I think OC 617 was quite annoyed but that seemed a pretty good bit of harmless fun.
By Rob L
Trent772 wrote:Having set up to do a tasteful video of flying Ladybower a couple of years ago, all was set....
(my snip)
Ladybower didn't exist back when the Dambusters were flying.
By MCM
Visited East Kirkby for the first time a few weeks ago - Lanc under restoration to fly, intact tower, lots of other interesting displays, and apropos the thread title, a display that incorporates the yoke and throttle quadrant of Guy Gibson's dambuster Lanc. And you can fly in - highly recommended.
By Cessna57
Dominie wrote:
Cessna57 wrote:I was told by someone who served there that the official dogs grave is not where it actually is.
He said he would show me where it really is when we flew into PP at Scampton.
PP was moved from Scampton and it became one of those things I never followed up.

I’d think that is folklore, but it was told to me by someone who served there during and after the war when 617 moved out.

Anyone else heard this ?

PS. Just booked my 2 tickets at the local cinema.

I was there in 1980-82, and I was told that the grave in front of the hangar offices is a fake. IIRC, Gibson's book says that the black dog was buried near the guardroom, in which case it's not marked.

I loved the story of 27 Sqn spraying some fertiliser on the grass in front of 617's offices, so it kept on growing showing "27" in 15 foot high digits. I think OC 617 was quite annoyed but that seemed a pretty good bit of harmless fun.

Imagine asking someone you’re flying with “when was the last time you held the controls of an aircraft?” after saying “you have control”, and he says “1947, Avro Lancaster”

One of my favourite flying memories.
By Waveflyer
Ophelia Gently wrote:Won't be able to attend one of the film showings, if they're timed for the 17th, unfortunately. Mainly because I and Mrs Gently are going to be standing on a certain masonry edifice on the Moehnesee at 0027 toasting the 133 (and especially the 53 who didn't come back) with the remains of my 'Raid on the Ruhr' single malt. Good health! :cheers:

Mrs. WF and I were standing there just three days ago for the first time. Quite surreal to recall what happened in 1943 and the impact it had on so many people on both sides
By Rob L
Waveflyer wrote:
Ophelia Gently wrote:Won't be able to attend one of the film showings, if they're timed for the 17th, unfortunately. Mainly because I and Mrs Gently are going to be standing on a certain masonry edifice on the Moehnesee at 0027 toasting the 133 (and especially the 53 who didn't come back) with the remains of my 'Raid on the Ruhr' single malt. Good health! :cheers:

Mrs. WF and I were standing there just three days ago for the first time. Quite surreal to recall what happened in 1943 and the impact it had on so many people on both sides

Especially the downtream side (and yes, I know it's poor form)
By Waveflyer
1840 local just North of Bristol, heard an unusual aircraft noise a caught a glimpse of what may have been a Lancaster. It was flying towards the Severn Bridges.
Bit rare around here these days.
Was I right, it must be BBMF doing the rounds?