Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
of the raids will be on May 17th this year. T'would appear that there's been a re-mastering of the movie, and it's being shown at the Albert Hall, and simultaneously broadcast to 300ish cinemas around the country...

Now can we discuss this at all without anybody mentioning the name of his labrador, please? For me the more interesting debate is where I'm going to go and watch it!

In the meantime, for anybody with a hardcore historical bent - the RAeS on the same day is doing a historical group session on Chastise....

https://www.aerosociety.com/events-cale ... -chastise/

G
Lockhaven, Jon G4LJW liked this
By Wildcat One
I "held" on 617 at Scampton as a very junior officer for the last few months of 1982 and the start of 1983 when it was stood down. I had several flights in the Vulcan all sorts of different profiles and have some great memories of watching the low-level scenery zip by from my perch on the ladder between the pilots seats.

As a secondary duty, I was tasked with moving the contents of the Squadron Museum to Group HQ 150 miles away. Packing up the museum and learning more about the events was very interesting. Sitting in the pax seat of various 4-tonners with precious artefacts in the back, in winter, southbound on the A1, less so.

There is a vid on YT of the last few days of the Sqn - as it was then.

I can't recall how many times I swept the leaves off the dog's grave.

Happy days!
DarrenL, Rob P, Lockhaven liked this
By avtur3
I wonder if there is any chance of a repeat of the spectacular 50th anniversary celebrations which were held at Derwent Reservoir and Dam. It was amazing to see the 10's of thousands of people who gathered on the hill sides above the dam. Very moving to see a Lancaster 'in the flesh' flying between the towers over the dam ... I've got goosebumps just thinking back to it.
By Flyin'Dutch'
The raid's anniversary is commemorate in Germany too - including the loss of 1200 civilian lives.

An interesting and well balanced article - including some analysis of strategic planning and the bouncing bomb's development as well about 'The Dambusters' background found here (in German):

https://www.wa.de/nordrhein-westfalen/m ... 09065.html

The area of the dams and it's environment is interesting and full of small GA fields (most with decent restaurants) and one of the big breweries (Warsteiner) is a stone's throw away.

Anyone interested in coming to have a look, let me know and I will happily give more information and hook up for a beer or two.
By Cessna57
I was told by someone who served there that the official dogs grave is not where it actually is.
He said he would show me where it really is when we flew into PP at Scampton.
PP was moved from Scampton and it became one of those things I never followed up.

I’d think that is folklore, but it was told to me by someone who served there during and after the war when 617 moved out.

Anyone else heard this ?

PS. Just booked my 2 tickets at the local cinema.
By TimE
Does anyone know if, when you visit Scampton, you can view the origninal briefing room and hangers? I know you have to make an appointment with the curator before visiting.
By Dave W
There's also the "Dambusters Bar" at the Petwood Hotel (617 Sqn's Officer's Mess during the war).

Full of memorabilia, it is well worth having a pint in.
Iceman, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ozplane
Or indeed staying overnight and visiting the BBMF hangar at Coningsby the following day. The Boss highly approved of our room as it opened out on to 30 acres of parkland and it was very reasonably priced.
Dave W liked this
Won't be able to attend one of the film showings, if they're timed for the 17th, unfortunately. Mainly because I and Mrs Gently are going to be standing on a certain masonry edifice on the Moehnesee at 0027 toasting the 133 (and especially the 53 who didn't come back) with the remains of my 'Raid on the Ruhr' single malt. Good health! :cheers:
Paul_Sengupta, Rob P liked this