Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
In the past SD for VFR though I have had some issues abroad - especially France - where the flight plan was never received.

Aeroplus for IFR. Linked with autorouter so easy to find routes which IFPS will accept and, as an extra useful function, which can also be imported into SD for flying. Much less fiddly than Rocket Route in my opinion and way less expensive.

On the occasions I need to file a VFR flight plan I now use Aeroplus for that too and it seems to be fine. One-off annual charge, so none of that credit nonsense.

I did use AFPEX years ago before SD changed the world, but it was incredibly clunky as I recall and is surely now a little pre-historic? Though the chaps at the other end of the phone when things invariably went wrong were always very helpful.
Following one piece of advice with a link I today 'joined' EuroFPL.
They warn against filing a dummy plan, so I guess the first time I use it will have to be for real !
However to format looks like the familiar old paper form and despite their helpfulness at AFPEX the sytem always drove me (& doubtless me them) nuts it's so antiquated.
Olivier used to be so easy but a couple of seasons ago it wasn't being up-dated and failed to accept any ZZZZ entries, only a/fields withe a proper designator. I had to call a Centre from France to file back to my strip. I was tempted to file a false plan using Lydd's EGMD and once in the air and under way try to start it, but fly over the top of Lydd. Risky to have to suck it and see for real.
Has anyone here in Europe used the EuroFPL ? O.K. ?

mike hallam (West Sussex)
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@mikehallam Eurofpl used for flight from Gloucester to Weston (Dublin) and back yesterday.

Outbound filed on a club PC at Gloucester inbound filed on my iPad using Safari while having a coffee at the caff in Weston.

Absolutely no drama. It's very easy to set up pilot details and aircraft details and store them and then just click on both in flightplan builder when you want a new flight plan and it fills in all those details for you.
Last edited by johnm on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to use EuroFPL (about 5 times a year, so stayed "reasonably" current with knowing how to work it) before EasyVFR had the ability to file my plan "at the tap of one button" (once you had taught it your aircraft equipment fit, dinghy, etc, etc; easy from the plain-english dropdown lists). Why faff with anything else if you already have an app that knows your exact route, timing, etc.
I did not find EuroFPL intrinsically difficult as I was previously familiar with putting all the same info on a paper form, but I would never dream of going back to EuroFPL (or paper!) now!
I’m sure you are right but in aviation it’s always prudent to familiarise yourself with something before you need to use it in anger. If they *really* don’t want users to do a try-out FP before doing a real trip they should provide a “sand-pit” environment for new users to gain experience!
flybymike liked this