Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No, there was an A-10 one as well.

This one, G-BFEL.

Incidentally, there's no suggestion from that report that the A-10 pilot was kept away from the AAIB inspectors. He seems to have been interviewed in sufficient detail and openness to reveal that immediately prior to the collision he was undertaking a frequency change.
Lockhaven wrote:They were clearly trying to apportion blame to close the case however after reading the preliminary report I realised their error and contested it, after they re-did their calculations it turned out my IAS was 251Kts, the case was closed.

The strange thing is they never questioned why the PA28 pilot was conducting stalling exercises over the CPT VOR close to the base of controlled airspace with no transponder on receiving only a traffic information service (as reported by the instructor), yet I had a transponder on and receiving a radar advisory service !

I don't get this.

251 KIAS is still more than 250 KIAS.

The PA28 wasn't doing anything wrong. What he was doing may not have been particularly sensible, but it didn't break any rules. It appears that you on the other hand, by however little, did break a rule.

I'm offering no opinion on the cause of the airprox itself, but wonder why they would 'drop this like a hot brick'.

Am I missing something?
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:No, there was an A-10 one as well.

This one, G-BFEL.

Incidentally, there's no suggestion from that report that the A-10 pilot was kept away from the AAIB inspectors. He seems to have been interviewed in sufficient detail and openness to reveal that immediately prior to the collision he was undertaking a frequency change.

I trained for PPL at Ipswich early 90s: Ipswich was right next door to Woodbridge/Bentwaters and after takeoff we were always told to get above 2000ft as soon as possible.
All our cross countries were planned from the NE corner of the reservoir on the Shotley peninsula to keep us clear from Woodbridge as well as away from our own meat bombers.

Peter
Having read through all this I am happy to see I was not the only one to not have a positive view of the "Airpox Board" or it's findings on my Cat "A" airprox with an, at the time "Military" RAF Vigilant from Halton.

It was biased towards the "mil" instructor who gave a position approx 10 nm wrong (this does not show on the airprox findings but was on the report first filed by the Vigilant and was later amended after my conversation with Swanick Mil on the phone. )& was sqwaking the circuit code 7 010 some 4-5nm from the ATZ still on Halton freq while I was on a Farnboro' sqwark and had been refused a traffic service and given Basic, and was critisised for not " getting a Traffic Service" :evil: Altough later given credit for asking......

I attended the Mil/Civvy Safety day at Halton a while ago and was amused to see my airox being displayed on the big screen to illustrate how busy the airspace is in that neck of the woods. :roll:
Last edited by FlarePath on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Then there was the groundcrew that borrowed a Herc. They got Stateside very soon after it landed !
Quite a bit going on around Lakenheath and Mildenhall a few years back , not to mention the carnage on the local roads and the killing of a lady of the night but that's probably serious thread drift. :shock:
By Wide-Body
Lockhaven, do you have the airport report no.

Chatting to the airprox investigator he was at pain to say that it is not about apportioning blame. The board president changed a couple of years ago and is trying to move on from previous years. Just curious.
Wide-Body wrote:Lockhaven, do you have the airport report no.

Chatting to the airprox investigator he was at pain to say that it is not about apportioning blame. The board president changed a couple of years ago and is trying to move on from previous years. Just curious.

Sorry no, as I said the report was never filed after the error was spotted and I challenged it.