Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mr Blue Sky
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help. I am flying with an NPPL with a medical declaration. As we know we will need to have a LAPL medical to fly EASA aircraft after April. Due to a medical condition my medical will be slightly complicated and expensive. I am a member of a flying club and only fly with a close member. I have rarely flown solo with passengers, except to do a few circuits to stay current. I have decided to give up my PPL, but have heard that I could continue flying with a safety pilot ( the member of the club who I fly with) without a medical, although my medical declaration is still current. We have read the Safety Pilot Information Sheet provided by the CAA but there is nothing about the pilot flying. He knows about my condition and it has never been a problem. I need to get the correct information and if this is right can continue flying. I understand I can't log hours and that my friend is responsible for the flight and can I still fly in the left seat.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My understanding is (unfortunately) that you can fly as P1 with a safety pilot, only if you have a medical cert (Class 2 or LAPL medical) which has an OSL limitation on it. If you're P1, you log the hours.
If you don't have that, there is nothing stopping you using the controls, doing all the work, but the other pilot would be P1 (with the responsibilities that it entails, including logging the hours).
By Flyin'Dutch'
The OSL - Safety Pilot Limitation is related to Medical Certificates (Class 2 and LAPL) and allows holders to fly as P1 (with a suitable licence) when accompanied by a suitably qualified pilot.

Whether you can fly from the left hand seat without a licence and medical is something you have to clarify with your mate - who will carry the can if something goes wrong, the club you're renting from and their insurance.
By Dodo
In a while someone, possibly an instructor, will say that no-one other then the aircraft commander is allowed to operate the controls of an aircraft in flight unless the commander is an instructor, and someone else will come along to say it's fine, and they let their passengers do it all the time.

I think FD is right and you will have to talk to your flying club about the operational/insurance aspects.

Assuming you feel you still meet the standards for a self declaration, in the meantime, would you consider getting everything in your licence as current as you can so that you have a period of grace (with a current, valid even if unusable licence and rating) to see if the CAA relent (even retrospectively) on the April 2018 deadline, and also to give yourself time to consider trying to get your hands on a share in an annex 2 aircraft?
By Irv Lee
The actual risk in practice is not so much "can I can't i?" But coming to a clear understanding before any flight of what happens and when it happens and how it is recognised by both of you that the 2nd guy is supposed to be flying the plane, not you. The danger is neither or both doing it.
By Mr Blue Sky
Hi all and thanks for your comments. My next step is to put this to the club, thought I'd get as much advice as possible, I have discussed the responsibility with my pilot friend and he seems ok with it as we normally manage our flights. I thought about Anex 2 aircraft but after a local flight it wasn't for me, (love the P28 too much). Ok will see how things progress.
By townleyc
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
I thought about Anex 2 aircraft but after a local flight it wasn't for me, (love the P28 too much).

I am sorry, but what a silly comment

I do not have access to an annex 2 aircraft at the moment, and I am in the same boat with regards medical, but there are so many different options that it must be possible to find something better than a PA28, subject of course to the cost.

KE
By FlarePath
I presume my question as to whether you will have no licence is correct? then the choice of aircraft is irrelevant as the the P1 wont be you, so fly multi engine/annex I/annex II/rotary, if you want, and someone is willing to let you.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By kanga
townleyc wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
I thought about Anex 2 aircraft but after a local flight it wasn't for me, (love the P28 too much).

.. it must be possible to find something better than a PA28, subject of course to the cost.

er, to me a P28 is one of these, Annex II I assume:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Proctor

:)