Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It has confused me to the state that I am past caring about their seemingly ever shifting rules and regulations, so have given up trying to follow them.

Rob P
Chris Martyr, helicopterdcr, Dominie and 1 others liked this
All EASA has done is make life bloody difficult, expensive and restrictive for the UK private flyer.
It has gradually over a number of years trodden and stamped all over the UK GA piloting/flying/aircraft ownership scene with batent disregard for the accrued costs and consequences.
It has interferred with licensing so much that it is virtually impossible for the average flyer to comprehend it anymore. It has interfered with aircraft maintenance so much that it has forced many to either downsize aircraft or give up flying altogether due to increased maintenance costs.
I cannot think of a single thing that EASA has done to improve anything compared with how things were when I first started flying, it has just made things worse!
helicopterdcr, trapdoor, map5623 and 2 others liked this
I wasn’t a pilot in the so called glory days of the CAA licence, I started under JAA so only notice the positive difference of not paying up and renewing every five years.
As for aircraft ownership, I always took it to an engineer, handed them the aircraft, got it back some time later working, accompanied by a bill. Nothing has changed.
It hasn’t become all that much more expensive in the last ten years, so from my perspective EASA doesn’t seem to be having a particularly big impact.
johnm liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Instead of having to fly 5 hours every thirteen months I now have to ensure 12 hours flown in my “second year.”

Instead of having to fly with an instructor as often or as little as I feel necessary I now have to fly with one every two years.

Instead of one MEP flight a year I would now need an annual examiner flight had I retained MEP privileges.

Instead of flying with passengers whenever I liked I now have to tot up previous landings in the last 90 days

Instead of a lifetime licence it turned out I had to pay to buy another one.

Instead of having a licence to fly “aeroplanes” I have to have individual renewable ratings for each class

Instead of being checked out as much as I considered necessary for a new type I now need formal differences training.

Instead of having a simple comprehensible single licensing system I now have a dogs dinner of multiple paperwork or regulations to suss out if I want to do anything different.

Instead of learning aerobatics from a mentor I would now need formal aerobatic/display ratings.

According to the CAA safety analysis of all the new regs introduced by JAR and EASA they haven’t made a blind bit of difference to safety statistics.
Paul_Sengupta, helicopterdcr, Danny and 6 others liked this
Pcdabbler wrote:Destroyed my ATPL. Part way through my CAA Exams, given a deadline to complete that I couldn't make. Then said I had to start from scratch on the EASA Exams. I dropped out. :(

EASA or JAA? The CAA ATPL exams dropped off the schedule in the early days of JAA, not during the later EASA implementation...
AlanC wrote:
Pcdabbler wrote:Destroyed my ATPL. Part way through my CAA Exams, given a deadline to complete that I couldn't make. Then said I had to start from scratch on the EASA Exams. I dropped out. :(

EASA or JAA? The CAA ATPL exams dropped off the schedule in the early days of JAA, not during the later EASA implementation...

You are of course right, its all a blur now, CAA/JAA/EASA so much has changed because of the EU. And not for the better.
Pcdabbler wrote:And most recently, 8.33khz spacing and Mode S.

To be fair, I think that those were changes forced by the way the world has gone. Any authority would have imposed something pretty similar. Only really a matter of who said it, not whether it had to be said or not.

G
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote: Any authority would have imposed something pretty similar.

The FAA didn't.

They managed frequency allocation and looked ahead to ADS-B.
helicopterdcr liked this