Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I'm familiar with Cranfield , Cambridge, Southend and Norwich but can anybody provide any feedback to cost / experience using any of the following:

East midlands
Birmingham
Oxford
Doncaster
Gloucester

Current IR holder looking for somewhere different to do a spot of re-current training.

P.S - I'm Cambridgeshire based. Safety pilots always welcome. PM me.
Oxford and Gloucester are both great GA Airfields.

Not sure for training approaches but Oxford is free to land at weekends with 50ltr AVGAS uplift. I usually file IFR and fly the approach.

Birmingham last time I went was around £120 for ILS Landing 48hours parking and handeling with Signature. Ok if someone else is paying the bills! But signature were very good.

Shoreham has a NDB approach if you want to torture yourself and RNAV on both runways. Good approach controllers, Reasonable fees and the hummingbird cafe is good for lunch.

LYdd has a DME Arc ILS if you fancy that!

Where are you based ?
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I know nothing about IFR, but is Calais still a viable option?

To fly IFR in French airspace, regardless of weather conditions, requires a full IR. That's important because the 24 approach procedure penetrates the nuclear zone at Gravelines. Simply flying the approach VFR for practice purposes does not allow that zone to be entered and could land you in big trouble and with an impounded aircraft.

Calais is brilliant if you have your IR and want to keep current, less so if you are after some IR(R) practice.
Rob P liked this
LFP26 at Gravelines is a Prohibited Area over a nuclear power station.
Entry is restrictive (usually to those doing Instrument Approaches at Calais which necessitates an IR) irrespective as to whether you land in France or not.
Entry without authorisation is liable to a €25000 fine which makes the day-out rather expensive.
I’d highly recommend Gloucester. Even if they are busy they will do all they can to fit you in. As matspart3 has said, no radar at the moment and if it’s busy you may have to do your approaches under a basic service rather than a procedural. If you’re happy to hold then they will do all they can to make sure your time in the hold is minimised, but sometimes I think flying some holds is good practice!
Peter Geldard wrote:... irrespective as to whether you land in France or not.

I fear you may have missed the three smileys on the post we assume you are referring to.

Rob P
I'm currently training for my IR(R) and have had experience of Oxford on two separate occasions. Can't fault them they're very good. First visit cost me £20, second £10 (didn't land). Approaches £5 each and landing fee £10, both visits were midweek. Plus the facilities are some of the nicest you'll get in GA if you land! Compare this to Lydd where the same came with a bill of over £70. Guess where I'll be heading back to?