Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GeorgeJLA
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi all -

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm going to Orlando next Easter (2019). Any recommendation for where I can get my licence converted to FAA and hire a plane for a few hours flying? I'm with family so will probably only be able to do a couple of days.

Thanks in advance!
By Paul_Sengupta
There's an FAA FSDO (local office) near Orlando International airport. I don't know if they still do appointments for 61.75 certificates...some FSDOs don't any more and you have to pay an examiner (DPE) to do the paperwork. It used to be that you'd make an appointment at the FSDO for the last part of the paperwork process (before going to the flight school and doing the BFR).
We’re booked for a weeks flying this year with Pilots Paradise at Sebastian in Florida (about an hours drive from Orlando). Even though we haven’t been yet, very impressed with the set up, run by a Brit couple, he being an EASA and FAA instructor.Their reviews are all top class and have found a number of people who have trained and / or hired with them, all speak highly. Could be worth investigating
By Trent772
Until further notice, the Orlando Flight Standards District Office has discontinued providing the following services.

CFI Renewals*
Private Pilot Certificate Based on Foreign Certificate**
Military Competency
SIC type rating applications
SOE restriction removals
Restricted ATP limitation removal
Student pilot certificates (seeking Private or Sport privileges)
Ground Instructor applications (Basic, Advanced and Instrument)

**Private Pilot Certificate Based on Foreign Certificate: An FAA certificate issued on the basis of your foreign license is now referred to a DPE.
Verification of Authenticity of a Foreign License/Medical (FAA Letter of Authenticity)
To locate a DPE, an airman can visit the following website and select:
av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp
MCFPE — Military Competency / Foreign Pilot Examiner
SO15 — Orlando FLT STD DST Office or any office location

I would find out how much time it is going to take before you go.

There is a much easier alternative.

Ask yourself what haven't you done and would like to do - by that I mean why not fly a Cub on floats - Jack Brown, Fly a Stearman, Fly a Harvard - hell, fly a Mustang at Stallion 51 ! Try paramotoring, do a tandem skydive, lots of aviation things that don't require you to convert a licence.

Or...

Look on type forums or local groups now and find out who will show you/fly their aeroplane for costs or a hamburger somewhere.
By GeorgeJLA
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Looks like there are more options than I thought; P51 and floats sounds fun!

I know Easter 2019 is a long way away but the wife has arranged it with her sister and young son to come with us and that is the date they have decided!
OP, I'm in the same boat as you - except I'm off there in September so I need to get a move on with sorting things! I've just made a load of enquiries to places at Kissimmee and Orlando Executive - I'll let you know how I get on :)

Gutted that Pilot's Paradise is a bit too far away for me. Have just looked in to them and the main guy there was my first ever instructor at Blackbushe, he really is a top guy!
GeorgeJLA liked this