Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks chaps. Just one further question if I may. Can I hire an EASA ( Cessna 150/172) aircraft for the "renewal" hour? I can, I hope, use my aircraft but the examiner always wants to do "aeros" and the old girl isn't really up for it.
By ShadowPilot
Mick Elborn wrote:Actually you need to get your paperwork together before 8th April to account for handling by the LAA and CAA.

Can I just confirm this cut-off date is for my PPL(M) -> NPPL SSEA conversion. I have sent off my application to the LAA and expect my NPPL SSEA licence back well before 8th April.
I wish to then obtain a LAPL, but may be out of the country until after 8th April and so would not be able to get my NPPL -> LAPL application into the CAA until mid-April.
My current assumption is that I simply cannot fly EASA aircraft until I have applied for and received back my LAPL from the CAA, but there is no deadline on that?
By Irv Lee
ShadowPilot wrote:
Mick Elborn wrote:Actually you need to get your paperwork together before 8th April to account for handling by the LAA and CAA.

Can I just confirm this cut-off date is for my PPL(M) -> NPPL SSEA conversion.

No! If an ssea rating is issued after the 7th April 2018, it cannot be converted to a Lapl(a).
I have sent off my application to the LAA and expect my NPPL SSEA licence back well before 8th April.
I wish to then obtain a LAPL, but may be out of the country until after 8th April and so would not be able to get my NPPL -> LAPL application into the CAA until mid-April.
My current assumption is that I simply cannot fly EASA aircraft until I have applied for and received back my LAPL from the CAA, but there is no deadline on that?

Correct. If you have an ssea issued prior to 8/4/18, no problem, just no flying of Easa aircraft until you get an Easa licence from your pre 8/4/18 ssea
By patowalker
Irv Lee wrote:No! If an ssea rating is issued after the 7th April 2018, it cannot be converted to a Lapl(a).

That remains to be seen. An enlightened interpretation of this and this would see the CAA continuing to convert SSEA ratings to LAPLs, subject to a LAPL skills test.

... it is proposed to replace Article 4(7) of the Aircrew Regulation with a new article containing the provisions for a modular-LAPL option, by using the Accelerated Rulemaking Procedure, thus incorporating this option into the Aircrew Regulation in time (by 8 April 2018). It would be at the discretion of the MS implementing this option to define the particular steps of the modular flight training and the associated privileges to be obtained with the respective modular LAPLs, hence providing additional flexibility for the regulation of this lower end of GA. However, all requirements of Part-FCL, Subpart B other than those for the flight training would fully apply.
By Irv Lee
@patowalker Certainly hope we get enlightenment, i have sensed for some time that webbed feet have been paddling furiously below the surface. Main point is micro to ssea "date rumour" not true and not to promise things until they become available and actually seen to happen.
We were misled in 2012 about intention to allow foreign ppls with expired ratings to convert but in practice it became "45 hour course". I know some pilots lost £1000s on that "understanding", and only finding the "interpretation" of the conversion was rather different to normal English interpretation on application after money spent.
I hope there is sufficient enlightenment to provide similar relief for foreign icao licence with either fewer than 100 hours or rating expired to go to Lapl, as I have said previously, it is a non icao licence fGs, I can't understand why they are so "precious" about it. If they can not pass a lapl test to do it, I don't really want them flying near me anyway.
By Arclite01
So I have a JAR PPL with an SEP rating and a TMG rating. Can I get an LAPL medical and then use my JAR PPL with LAPL privileges ? - or do I need to surrender my JAR PPL and get an LAPL issued ??

Confused or what.............

Arc
By Irv Lee
cotterpot wrote:How old is your JAR Licence?

Doesn't matter... the last jaa licence expired its 5 years of life in Sept 2017 so all jaa licences need to be changed for an easa licence.
By Irv Lee
And the other question:
A lapl needs any Easa pilot medical for both issue and use in Easa aircraft.
A ppl needs either a class two or class one Easa pilot medical for both issue and use in Easa aircraft.