Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
A perfectly reasonable survey in terms of its purposes, guys. Last year the ½ mil southern England VFR chart showed the unlicensed - but ex RAF - airfield I fly from as disused when in fact it has been active continuously since 1917 ! And they omitted the 'area of intense gliding activity' descriptor that had been on the chart for many years. It was a mistake of course, but there is no harm in NATS refreshing its database, particularly for contact details as well. As it happens our club has owned the airfield since 1980 but we could have - but haven't - changed the club office phone number !
Marvin wrote:
mmcp42 wrote:
johnm wrote:

Well yes, if they aren't issuing a licence they have no idea whether it's still in use or not. Moreover they will not necessarily have any access to contact details that are up to date.

A survey is a reasonable way of getting that data up to date and reliable, and positively offered by the data subject which it needs to be in order to comply with GDPR.

strips only been there 30 years
same owner
on the CAA charts all that time
yet they don't have contact info?
or are trying to save the cost of an (e)stamp!

In their defence we had a diversion last year after a declared emergency through D&D. The follow up phone call to the airfield to check all ok went to the previous owners contact details. That has since been corrected but to my mind it makes it justified in them undertaking the survey.

Link to CAA Statement on the survey.

All the small airfields are listed in UK IAIP Section ENR 5.5

quote.quote.quote. ...
my point is not that the survey shouldn't happen - very happy with that
just that our local strip didn't know
so not much attempt to contact existing airfields
that's my "gripe" :)
Marvin wrote:
r_w_walker wrote:I am sure I have filled this in recently.

Anyone know if there is a way of checking it was received?

Reply to the email stating you have completed it. The response goes to the AIS charts section. I also completed ours last year and they responded back to confirm receipt.

A couple of things of note:

Firstly, I tried to submit the online form from my iMac with no success (similar experience to the first version of 8.33 claim form saga last year ... Macs don't (didn't?) seem to work with the CAA system... or maybe it was just me...). Anyway, I resolved this by sending a .pdf file as an attachment to the initial email account that the reminder came from, and which was acknowledged within minutes with thanks.

Secondly, I see it as entirely sensible to periodically update records of active flying sites (and to identify those that have fallen by the wayside too) and I for one definitely have no problem with NATS having up to date contact information for my strip - it can be of great value to be rapidly accessible to such as D&D or local ATC units.
We had a similar experience not so long ago to that posted by Marvin earlier.
A certain forumite here suffered an engine failure whilst nearby and diverted into Rectory Farm - however, on this occasion details were correct and I received a telephone call from Waddington to tell me he was inbound before he even arrived in the circuit and they stayed on the line until I confirmed that he was down safely and then stood down the emergency services alert.
Great service. :thumleft:
The query from NATS refers to
A survey to validate the list of various unlicensed airfields and aerial sporting activity locations published in the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) and depicted on CAA VFR charts is being conducted.

Lists in the UK IAIP can be found in GEN 2.4-1 on which unlicensed aerodromes such as Ashcroft (No LAC) EGCR, Deanland EGKL and Little Gransden EGMJ [Mark Jeffries?] can be found.

Furthermore, ENR 5.5-1 to 15 has a very long list of Aerial Sporting and Recreational Activities such as Hangliding, Parrot Shooting and Aerial Sporting including Gliding and Private Sites. Here you'll find inter alia Darley Moor, Hibaldstow, Lasham and Brimpton.

It is these entries that are the subject of this survey. A quick glance through them shows a number of out of date details so the need to update is clear.

There are at last count more than 700 airstrips across all of the UK. I know because a former CAA colleague has a Google Earth .kmz file with a yellow flag on each one. The CAA nor NATS want details on all of these nor see all of them depicted on charts.

As for taking of from one of these 700+ airstrips, I guess the ANO puts responsibility on the a/c commander to ensure safe flight. I achieve this by flying in VMC by day and broadcasting on SafetyCom.
If you're in the charts/AIP and want to stay that way why not use the form? (if you don't want to tell them about aircraft movements - just leave it blank).
If you're not in the charts/AIP and want to stay that way; don't bother with the form.

Can't understand why NATS don't just call all the registered sites and just ask.
mmcp42 liked this