Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Are pilots so different from the rest of the population, I think not as I see similar traits and attitudes displayed by pilots and non pilots alike! :roll:

That is why why have science - so we don't have to rely on people presenting anecdotes and personal experience as truth.

I hope your comments do not put off Lizzy from inviting more pilots into her sample.
Dave W liked this
NickA wrote:I hope your comments do not put off Lizzy from inviting more pilots into her sample.

I am not trying to put her off, simply trying to point out that pilots come from a broad spectrum and reflect society in general.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
romille wrote:
NickA wrote:I hope your comments do not put off Lizzy from inviting more pilots into her sample.

I am not trying to put her off, simply trying to point out that pilots come from a broad spectrum and reflect society in general.

I'm not sure if Lizzy appreciated that the population here includes different types of pilot (PPL etc). And people.

She knows now though.
Dave W liked this
romille wrote:simply trying to point out that pilots come from a broad spectrum and reflect society in general.
Do you have a scientific survey to back that up? If you can make pilots from any in the general population, why do airlines/air forces do selection processes, and what's the purpose of the exams and tests (rhetorical).
How about a psychology research project on EASA, CAA, pilot licencing and aviation laws to see what effect it has on the state of mind of anyone that dares to try to comprehend it all.

Too easy, how about a psychology research project on pilot attitudes to the 10+ quid landing fee.

Too easy, how about a psychology research project on pilot attitudes to price of a life! (is The Answer really 42 ?)

8)
cockney steve liked this
neilmurg wrote:Do you have a scientific survey to back that up? If you can make pilots from any in the general population, why do airlines/air forces do selection processes, and what's the purpose of the exams and tests (rhetorical).

There was no suggestion that the OP wanted responses from airline or military pilots. I do not have a scientific survey but I know pilots that are postmen and others that are multi millionaires. I also know there are pilots like me that grew up in a huge housing estate in Glasgow and others that come from a very privileged background, so my feeling is pilots come from all sort of backgrounds and reflect society in general. I agree that to pass the exams and tests you need a certain level of motor skill and intelligence but you certainly don't need to be very gifted, but some think they are.
By PaulB
romille wrote:

Of course they don't - what a ridiculous assertion.
PaulB wrote:Of course they don't - what a ridiculous assertion.

From reading some AAIB, Airprox, NATS reports on infringements and some the topic on here it is clear that pilots range from the very clever at one end of the scale to barely being able to qualify as an intelligent life at the other. Some are diligent and considerate others lackadaisical, rude and brash, a bit like I see on the streets every day. My flying instructor told me that he believed he could probably teach almost anyone to fly given time and resources. Lack of money, time, determination and the weather was the main reasons for people not qualifying.
No doubt the whole range of personalities is represented in the pilot population. The point is whether the distribution of traits is the same as in the general population. It isn't, from the available evidence. It's like saying because we all know female and male pilots that the distribution of gender amongst pilots is the same as society in general. Clearly an absurd statement.
By Rob P
I'll probably have a go at the survey when I get a moment.

How useful that will be I don't know because I am a teapot. :alien:

Rob P