Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Nomad63
Had mine for some years now but only just started using it @ 8.33 steps, it is of course very easy to switch with the dedicated step button, but I notice every time I switch it on it has reverted to 25khz
Is there a setting to make it default to 8.33 khz steps?
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We've just had one fitted, so I've still to fully get to grips with it, but I doubt I'll want to default to 8.33kHz steps.

My reasoning is that if I did, when selecting a new frequency I'd have to turn the selector many more times than I would if (as I currently do) I select a freq close to where I want to be in 25 kHz mode then "zoom in" on the required channel by pressing the knob for 8.33kHz mode.
By Iceman
That's a useful technique Dave, the advantage of which seems not to have been recognised by the designers of the expensive IFR GPS units (Garmin / Avidyne), possibly because they are in the US and have not had to use the 8.33 kHz mode in anger. With these units, you are either in 25 kHz mode or 8.33 kHz mode by virtue of a fairly inaccessible menu setting and not able to change mode dynamically.

Iceman 8)
Dave W liked this
By Robin500
Its in the settings isn’t it, just press and hold the mon button, then scroll through settings with the big knob until 8.33 comes along and press. It then becomes default, or at least I think that’s how I did it.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Iceman wrote:That's a useful technique Dave, the advantage of which seems not to have been recognised by the designers of the expensive IFR GPS units (Garmin / Avidyne), possibly because they are in the US and have not had to use the 8.33 kHz mode in anger.

I don't think that is entirely true. As you already know, the Avidyne IFDs offer many ways of selecting a frequency or channel. The last way anyone would choose is 8.33 kHz increment knob twiddling.
T67M liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Iceman wrote:seems not to have been recognised by the designers of the expensive IFR GPS units (Garmin / Avidyne)

Surely with the new touch screens you can just enter the frequency using number keys without having to scroll through? This was one thing I asked before my recent purchase of an IFD440! :D
By Iceman
Indeed Paul, but sometimes, it's just nice to be able to wind in a frequency, and a fast mode of doing that would be useful. It's the same on the Garmin series in that respect.

Iceman 8)
By GAFlyer4Fun
Yeah, hilarious. :roll:

I was merely commenting that the impression given by someone else that the expensive Garmin/Avidnye units are as basic at channel selection as this Trig is misleading. The Avidyne IFD for example has many ways to do this which are so much easier and quicker.

Bottom line is the quicker it is to select the next channel utilising the best features available, the quicker it is to get back to doing a full scan for traffic and other pilot actions.
Could make the difference to seeing the traffic some other electronics have missed before it is too late....

So, back to it being an entirely Trig TY91 thread...
By T67M
Dave W wrote:We've just had one fitted, so I've still to fully get to grips with it, but I doubt I'll want to default to 8.33kHz steps.

My reasoning is that if I did, when selecting a new frequency I'd have to turn the selector many more times than I would if (as I currently do) I select a freq close to where I want to be in 25 kHz mode then "zoom in" on the required channel by pressing the knob for 8.33kHz mode.

A bit like the "pull for 25kHz" option on the old Bendix King KX155s that were "upgraded" from 360-channel to 720-channel (and later 760-channel) back in 1972.
kanga, Bobcro liked this
By cockney steve
Do these Panel- mounted, mega-money doo-dahs not have memory-banks that you can pre-set?
Even the humble Icom/ Yaesu handhelds have that facility and with several memory-banks, you should be able to "pre-load" all the frequencies likely to be used on your most common trips. One-offs easily programmed -in from a PC.
By riverrock
Not at the cheapest end of the market.
Most have some sort of memory, others have GPS driven memory (so gives you nearest frequencies). Some are input manually, some allow upload of csv file containing entries, some require expensive updates from manufacturer.